Thread: Kyler Murray
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #32
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I was somewhere online yesterday (I think it was A's fans on The Athletic website) where people were trying to argue that Murray stood to make more in MLB. I just don't see it.

In football, the floor is in the $7-9 million range, even if you are a complete bust (Manziel-Manuel). If you show the slightest modicum of ability to hold a clipboard, that gets you up to around $12 million in career earnings (Ponder-Locker-Weeden). An average starting QB in the Tannehill-Dalton range would put you at $100 million career earnings and counting.

Compare Ryan Tannehill (2012, 8th overall, 30 years old) to George Springer (2011, 11th overall, 29 years old).

To date, Springer has earned $19 million and is scheduled for another $12 million this coming season. Tannehill has earned $67 million and is set for another $19 this year.

Obviously, MLB careers have the potential to last longer and once you get up into your late twenties and early thirties where you are no longer team controlled, the potential for earnings is better, particularly if you are in the elite spectrum of talent.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote