View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #311
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dec 20, 2015 -

Yes, we re-signed a bunch of guys today. Most importantly, we re-signed Jerry Owens to a 2 year deal for just over 4 million. We also signed 2 role players in catcher Colton Luke and 1B Radhames Coco.

Feb 1, 2016 -

I can't believe I'm 25 already. Only a few weeks until spring training starts. A look back at the last month shows a few more encouraging moves by the club:

They picked up veteran catcher Carlos Ruiz as a steady backup. However, no other big name splashes. They did sign 5 AAA type guys.

Feb 25, 2016 -

A look at the key components of the roster this year:

I'm 25 now and most experts are picking me to have a breakout year.

Whaley's 30 homers last year were a career high. Most experts are predicting a bigger year from him this year.

RP Bobby Jenks appears recovered from his injury. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a huge part of our pen.

SP John Denks led the team with 14 wins last year. He is expected to have another very good year.

SP Chris Young - injuries hurt him last year but he still had a very respectable year.

SP Edinson Volquez had a career high 186 K's but was the victim of poor run support and finished 8-11. He's expected to be even better this year.

LF Carlos Quentin is 32 now and is in the prime of his career. He had a career high 43 HR's and 112 RBI last year. I expect him to do better on the RBI's with Cano setting the plate.

2B Robinson Cano is 32 and is still in the prime of his career. He is a free swinger but he has excellent plate coverage. He is a solid defender as well. He hit a career high .288 last year with 18 HR's and 84 RBI.

CP Markus Groniga had 42 saves in his first full season with a 1.83 ERA. He has a nasty 4 seam fastball, a very good sinker, and an excellent cutter.

Hong-Chih Kuo had over 100 K's and a sub 3 ERA. We have a great pen if he and Jenks can both stay healthy.

Our projected opening day lineup:

CF Jerry Owens - I love his speed and defense but he needs to get on base more.

2B Robinson Cano - Should be a very good #2 hitter.

1B Whaley only hit .256 last year. He needs to improve on that, but I think he will.

RF Adam Dunn - At 35, I worry about him starting to slow down. He had a career low .254 avg last year and struck out way too much. Then again, he did have 35 HR's and 83 RBI's.

LF Carlos Quentin

SS Alexei Ramirez - He hit a career high .294 with 27 HR's and 103 RBI (both career highs.) If he can come close to duplicating that again, I'll be very happy.

3B Gerard Burnitz is a natural 2B, but he can play 3B fairly well. This will be his first full year but the job is his to lose. He is projected to be a fairly good fielder with little speed, good contact, and some decent pop. He is projected to get much better in the future.

DH Owen Budde - I'd like to see us upgrade here. Budde has not impressed in limited action. He hit .246 last year.

C Ronny Paulino - He only hit .234 last year, but there are few catchers I would trade him for. He has a quality arm and got me out of many jams last year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote