View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #313
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

April 4, 2016 -

We get thrown right into the fire with a 4 game series in New York. I'm starting the Season Opener at Yankee Stadium against Joba Chamberlain. They have a strong lineup even with A-Rod retired:

SS Jose Reyes
2B Chase Utlet
3B Mark Teixeira
C Orlando Figueroa
LF Chase Headley
RF Vlad
3B Rico Estrada
DH Brandon Phillips (ahh, that is why they signed him)
CF Melky Cabrera

Our Lineup is only slightly different than I projected. Another rookie 3B won the job (for now) in spring training. Jose Ferreira is a natural 3B who is a better defender so I'm glad he won it, as long as he can hit some. He is hitting 8th and Budde is hitting 7th.

We start off the game with a single by Cano and then a 2 run homer by Whaley! That is encouraging! Strong wing blowing out to center today at 22 MPH.

Jose tries to bunt for a hit to start the game but our Jose makes a great play to charge it, barehand it, and throw the speedy runner out. I strike out Utley with a 3-2 slider for the 2nd out. I strike out Mark with a 2-2 slider to end the inning.

Jose dives and catches a hard liner by Orlando to start the 2nd inning. With 2 outs, Vlad with a hard grounder that just gets by Cano. Estrada hits my first pitch to him to deep left center for a RBI double. After I walk Phillips, Melky grounds to 1st to end the inning.

Darn. My first pitch in the 3rd, a slider, gets away from me and hits Reyes in the ribs. He steals 2nd. I strike out Utley with a 3-2 fastball on the outside corner. A passed ball allows Reyes to advance to 3rd, but the next pitch is a 2-2 slider that strikes out Mark. Orlando draws a walk on a 3-2 slider that misses outside. Headley grounds to Cano to end the inning.

Sheesh. Estrada gets me again, this time a solo homer to right center. I guess I better start pitching him like he is A-Rod.

I strike out Utley for the 3rd time to start the 5th. This time with a 0-2 outside fastball. A 2-0 slider gets away from me and hits Mark in the ribs. Orlando hits a 2-2 fastball off the left field wall for a double. Headley hits a bullet groundball past Cano for a RBI single. 3-2. Crap. Vlad hits the first pitch, a low slider, to deep right for a 3 run homer. So much for my great start to the year. Mike pulls me right after that. He brings in Taylor Osborn for long relief.

We lose the game 6-4 as Whaley had another RBI in the 7th and Owens also had a RBI in the inning.

4.1 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 5 K.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote