View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #172
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze
I have a quick update on my oldest son. Last year about this time we were having difficulty with him in school so the county came in to test him. The tests indicated he might have Asperger's. We didn't agree with that assessment because he is much to personable at home, but we did admit that he had problems relating to his peers and that he didn't do well in big groups. We've since investigated sensory intergration issues, and there are definately some present, but they aren't the underlying cause of his problems.

Fast forward to the present. Brett (5 years old) is doing much better with his social skills, in fact most of him current problems revolve around keeping his hands to himself and stopping to listen to his teacher. We ran through a bad couple of weeks in early November so my wife and I (with the request of the teacher decided to get him tested). we contacted out pediatrician and he said we needed to see a Psychologist to get some testing and assessment done before we can proceed.

We received the test results yesterday and here is what we've learned:

1 - he is ADHD (which my wife and I knew all along) and that isn't surprising because I was diagnosed as ADHD and Cathy had ADHD traits as a child but was never diagnosed. Moreover, the doctor said he was even more hyper than most ADHD kids she deals with.

2 - he has some OCD issues around perfectionism (none of the OCD disorders like Jack Nicholson displayed in "As Good As It Gets" - nothing to that extent). His issues deal with wanted to do something perfectly or not at all and if he elects to do it - he doesn't want to stop until he is finished.

3 - his fine motor skills are lacking so it takes him longer to complete his work and his writing is little sloppy.

4- and this is the most important aspect and directly affects the 1st item listed above. He is extremely smart. He was given an age equivalency test (the results of which are transformed into an IQ). As a 5 year 3 month old child he registered as an 8 year 10 month old - which correlates to an IQ of 159 putting him over the 99.9 percentile. This creates major problems in ADHD because he becomes bored quickly with easy tasks (coloring etc.) and he has a hard time making friends because they don't understand him when he plays more complex games or he finds their pretending childish.

We aren't sure how we are going to handle this - but they have recommended medication to calm the ADHD down thus allowing him to control his boredom better. Plus we will be placing him in the gifted program ASAP.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for listening.

sounds a lot like my daughter.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote