View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #179
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

We had out meeting Friday and several things were accomplished. Here is what we are going to be doing with Brett for the rest of the school year.

1. He will attend a social skills class. This will help him deal with social settings better and they will work on his dealing with frustrations that build up from being unable to communicate affectively with class mates.

2. He will serve as a peer teacher, helping other students learn some of the things he already knows.

3. He will have a mentor from an older grade who will work with him on special assignments - giving him a mental peer to relate too and giving him more difficult work that he'll be able to focus on better. He'll also present his findings to the class each week.

4. He will have an adult mentor as well. Hopefully the horizon's teacher - thus allowing him to have exposure to the horizon's environment but not having to test for it (this eliminating the possibility that he gets distracted during the test and scores poorly. If he were to test for horizons and not pass, he would have to wait 2 years before testing again).

5. He will have new 1st grade skills introduced to him on a weekly basis and worksheets on those skills provided throughout the week. (currently worksheets have been given but not reviewed - only teaching of the first grade skills came from home - now he will actually be taught in the classroom the new work).

I'm sure there were some other consessions made, but I can't recall what they are. They will begin after the Christmas break. I'll keep you updated on how it works out. Who knows, maybe it will work well enough to work as a template for some of you who believe you may be facing the same issues.

As for medication? We'll be meeting with the Pediatrician to go over that option in early February.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote