View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #108
Squirrel
Mascot

And in case of wider interest, to help SocJC or any others thinking about picking up my IHOF team...my view is that the team should hit .500 or better, with playoff upside, in the medium-term if the GM keeps broadly to the following ideas:

1. Follow the chemistry system, which means leaders in group 3 and followers in groups 5 and 10. Only exceptions: Star players, P, K and LS

2. Specifically, try to sign in FA every player available with >=8 starts who is either (i) group 3 with LDR > 70 and PER > 70 or (ii) group 5 or 10 with LDR <70 and PER > 30

3. Where the player has clearly above replacement-level talent, include bonus $ in the contract; otherwise don't. Preserve cap flexibility and bid hard on affinity stars / starters who come up in free agency (they are worth more to you than the next GM by a hard-to-quantify but clearly-non-zero margin)

4. Draft players in groups 5 and 10 only, except for star prospects (i.e. first round draft picks) in which case disregard affinity and draft BPA

5. When cutting down to 70, 60 and 53 ensure 1 leader in each position group and otherwise cut to leave the best players available, but when two players are similarly good preserve cohesion by keeping the longest-serving guy on the team

6. Overdraft group 5 and 10 QB prospects and establish as much QB depth as possible. Try to have at least 2 and ideally 3 QBs with PER > 80 on the roster

7. Rex everything unless you're very good at gameplanning i.e. you've somehow been able to quantify to yourself satisfactorily that you add value by gameplanning

8. Because the talent level on your roster will be lower than all non-affinity teams, be unusually careful about giving rookies snaps as they can be dangerous to put in by disturbing the balance of your team. Normally, let rookies develop a year or two before making them active, and be comfortable with the idea of sending in instead lots of 40/40 affinity guys who may well surprise you by putting in league-average performance because of the chemistry

I think that's everything that I'd view as of core importance. Will think about it some more

Last edited by Squirrel : 09-06-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote