View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #429
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

There are a few things I like about the module – firstly, it has a decent enough mystery theme to it that really does work. It’s in the D&D world which has less subtlety, but there are places where the writer, Douglas Niles, just says really annoying things to the Dm, such as:

“the tapestries are quite valuable, but of course no lawful characters would even consider stealing from the legally appointed Duke.” The italics are not mine, but Niles’s. That’s just bad writing. Just include the info, and let me run the module. But while he gives the value, in detail, of all of the items in the Shrine and Temple, he doesn’t bother with the barracks and Ducal Palace. Why not? What if I have characters who aren’t lawful? I could have a neutral thief or something right?

The module also suffers from some uneven editing and playtesting. For example, sometimes, the monsters come with hit points already rolled, and other times they don’t and I have to do it myself. In the first battle with Xanaphon, he’s not bothering to wear any armor and is super easy to hit. The description for the final battle simply says, “uses the stats from chapter 2”. That’s just stupid. I get why he’d be armor-less when invulnerable, why bother wearing it? That’s fine. But when coming to meet the people who have the one item on Hamedh that weakens you? Why wouldn’t you pause to toss on some mail or plate or something? I bumped his AC up for the final battle, or else it’s a cake walk that anyone could win.

So there are uneven elements like that to the module. Overall, we made a lot of changes to have it fit the Sand Mire campaign, and I hope you like them!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote