View Single Post
Old 01-10-2024, 10:55 AM   #121
CrossroadsReb
Mascot

October 3, 2001
Press release from Eric Bischoff

Through rigorous negotiations, World Championship Wrestling announces that starting on November 5, WCW Nitro will be broadcast on the USA Network. We are excited about this new partnership that will give us great coverage throughout the United States. Let it be understood that this change in broadcasting is strictly business and we appreciate ESPN Inc. taking a chance on a fledgling company six months ago. It is our hope that WCW can one day return to the ESPN family of networks.

--With one month left on many of the TV deals, I reupped with Azteca 7 in Mexico, E4 in the British Isles, the Sportsnet channels in Canada, and RTL II in Europe. The major contract, of course, was what I would have in America. Two important networks were very interested in negotiations: USA Network and TNT. Realistically, I don’t think Nitro would have gone back to the Turner group in 2001 if WCW had survived. I agree to a nine-month deal on a highly pro wrestling broadcaster, USA Network. WCW pays nothing per show, and gets 20% of the revenue generated from the deal. Alot to like about this deal.

--The WWF is on an incredible roll as they are at 88 pop across America and are sitting with just over $70 million in the bank.
CrossroadsReb is offline   Reply With Quote