View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #4013
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Note: I'm posting this before reading everyone else's comments so excuse me if I'm doubling up.

First off, I both liked and abhorred this game. Probably multiple times. Things I liked

- The overall premise (work units, conversions, etc.)
- The fact it wasn't a cookie cutter game (I don't like ones that are too crazy, too often, this one was just fun in general)
- The general "keep you guessing" nature of it
- Your call on the Phase one thing. I'd have done it the same I reckon.

What I didn't like

- It seemed to me that we did a lot of good things to "earn" the end-game scenario (it was our conversion of two allies and something else that triggered it, IIRC). Which is great. Only catch is, it seemed that end-game was slanted to the wolves (which I realize is historically accurate). It just didn't add up to me.

- While I liked the keep-you-guessing nature, I think it made it VERY hard on the village. Mystique is by-and-large a wolf-beneficial idea. I don't think there was a balancing move on the village side. Yes, we had some nice roles but we also were playing in a game with conversions and who knows what so a role like NTN's becomes difficult when the lock-tight COT is rather small.

- Village not being able to lynch each day. I'm of the ilk that a lynch vote is arguably the villages best weapon. Sure, it misfires often, but it's far and away the best tool for the village to win the game, any game. To take it from us for apparent success didn't seem fair to me. Let us No Lynch only on days after a camp win or something, but don't handcuff us in a game where the wolves had a (seemingly) non-stop litter bag of tricks. It forced the village to play a very passive game IMO and really I don't think a passive game in this ruleset was going to work for the village.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote