View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #275
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Oh, I agree. Do you think he could compete in the meaningless popular vote race? Of course, anything is possible from now until November.

Nah, I don't think he'll compete in the meaningless popular vote, because as has been said earlier..he doesn't have national appeal, he's relatively unknown despite his cash...and people might -- in an continually declining economy -- feel like rich people like him are the reasons that things suck so bad in America.

I don't believe that, but I could see an Obama or a Hillary trying to inject of the populist rhetoric into the debate and make things interesting.

Frankly, I think Bloomberg is just teasing right now. I can't see what he'd have to gain from running a Presidential campaign knowing that he'd have a very slim shot at pulling off a win.

He might be bored or perhaps he's trying to maximize his legacy. Or perhaps he wants to leverage an Obama defeat in the Democratic primary into a scenario in which Barack becomes his VP candidate and they use Obama's appeal to turn the tables on "politics as usual."

All fanciful stuff to be sure. But we're just speculating and so, I'm just playing with crayons as to what he could possibly be thinking.

Another idea might be that if Romney is the GOP pick, Bloomberg could out CEO him in his sleep and that might take votes from him and if Hillary gets in on the Dem side, that my previously mentioned scenario with Obama might be just the trick to put them in a competitive situation with them, since neither has a super strong base of support.

But again, it'll be more interesting to see the next few months play out because this is so wide open that almost anything can happen as you said.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-24-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote