View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
nol
Banned

Summer 2036

In the transfer period we pick up former PG Quentin Williams. I could say he's 5'6 and didn't appear in any games for Idaho State last season and end it at that, but he's a decent 3-point shooter with the potential in ball-handling, passing, and perimeter defense to be at least passable as a backup PG.

This is a huge recruiting year for us since we will only have 7 scholarship players returning next season, so I'm completely perplexed when I see we've only completed scouting evaluations on 10 players and offered 3 of our 6 scholarships. Why the hell are they paying this guy Gilbertson so much and then not sending him on the road?

Not much I can do besides try to actually earn my own salary. We lost two starters from last year (Beau and Nate Doss), along with all of our point guard depth. Lindsey Jones, our returning all-ACC performer, is going to have to play out of position for the 2nd year in a row and run our offense, but he should be more than capable. The only PG on our roster, Chris Earl, is a passing wizard (18) but an absolute defensive liability (3 PRD). I'd honestly be more comfortable with our freshman SG Gong An at backup point. He came in every bit the sharpshooter as advertised (18 3PS) and shows legitimate combo guard potential. His in-between game is less polished than I thought it'd be, but he surprised me with his ability and willingness to guard his man. He's even willing to redshirt, which is incredible for the 169th-ranked recruit, but Dave's against that and I'm confident that by the time training camp's over he'll have proven himself too essential. Another name worth remembering is James Lindsey. The walk-on out of Amherst is an off-the-charts athlete (20 QKN, 20 JMP) in a 6'3 frame. He's obviously not the most polished basketball player but he shows real potential as an outside shooter and a threat in the passing lanes. Unfortunately he doesn't want to redshirt but we're lucky this kid fell into our lap.

Lloyd Hintz, the only other SG on the roster besides Gong, will take over as the starter there. Getting more minutes led to some promising results towards the end of last season, and if he has another impressive training camp, he'll be a solid player for us the next three years. Tyson Freeland, a senior SF, has more of a shooting guard's game and will see time backing up both positions. He can pass and defend slightly better than Lloyd but is worse at everything else.

With Jones moving over to PG, William Quesada looks to be the starting SF by default. Hopefully this past season's experience was necessary to get the JUCO transfer up to speed in the Division I game. I hadn't seen much from our second recruit Peregrine Robins before he arrived on campus; the SF is a decent athlete for the position and has more of a slashing game (12 INS) than any of our perimeter players. Other than that, if he starts for us at any point in his career we've frankly failed in recruiting ACC-caliber players to BC.

The big man rotation has gone from my greatest to least concern with the team in the span of a year. We already know what John Kratzer can do, but last year's starting PF Freddie Diaz was an unsung factor in Kratzer's 2nd team all-ACC campaign. Diaz isn't flashy on offense, but he takes care of the ball (12 HND) and hits the boards well enough on defense to make up for Kratzer's weakness there. Both players should average close to 2 blocks per game this season. Transfer Charles Enriquez is now eligible and has the same defensive/rebounding DNA as Diaz but is shorter and has no offensive game outside of 3 feet. Senior PF Brent Alexander rounds out the rotation and can hold down the glass for 10-15 minutes a night.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote