View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #77
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Ran a 5 km recovery run yesterday and closed out my week with an easy 2 miler this morning. I'll rest the legs tomorrow and will go pick up my bib in the afternoon.

I'll be without my usual crowd of cheerleaders for this race, a first for me. My youngest son has a soccer activity Sunday morning and my wife will go with him and my oldest has to work (teach) at the dojo. Since it's a point to point course, I'll park my car at the finish line and will take the shuttle to the start line. Usually, my wife and family would come to the start line, watch the start and meet me at the finish line. I'll feel a bit alone on Sunday.

In other news, I signed up for my first 5K ever, to be run on July 4th. It's an evening race on a Friday evening, start time around 6 pm.

I'm also contemplating a couple 10K to add to my race schedule, one before my August half marathon and one in September. The one in September is held in the town where I work and all profits go to a local organisation called LEUCAN that provides services to kids with cancer. They'll have distances of 2, 5 and 10K. While I am planning to do the 10K, I've issued a sort of challenge to my older son to run the 2K with me and his younger brother (who doesn't know about it yet). Start time for the 10K is at 10 and the 2K starts at 11:15. My 10K should take me at worst 45 minutes so I could do an easy couple kilometers with them for a good cause like this. My oldest son has had his head shaven the last couple years raising funds for LEUCAN. He's not doing it this year since he's graduating high school and wanted his pictures to look nice which I can understand...

Add to the fact that the course for this race will be a 5K stretch out and back that starts with about 1.5 km of downhill, thus ending with 1.5 km of uphill and by mid-September, I'll be preparing for a possible return to that Lac Beauport 18K I did last year that was VERY hilly. If only for that reason, this 10K would be a perfect practice...

FM