View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #52
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Before I do the last two briefings I thought I'd put up the 'family tree' of the Roman leadership, for lack of a better term. The dominant line and the only one that guarantees the favor of the Senate is that of Coruncanius, but it's a bit of an unusual case. Not only is he a well-known hero of the Samnite Wars and a man of considerable skill and political achievement/connections, but he also managed to marry off all four of his daughters to key officials, guaranteeing that his bloodline would reign supreme:

First Generation -- Consul Tiberius Coruncanius(57), wife Pompeia(60). Daughters Poppaea(42), Alypia(40), Claudia(39), Marcella(38)

Second Generation -- Coruncanius has four daughters, and each of their husbands joined his line by marriage. Consul Laevinus Coffeium(44) married Poppaea, and they have three sons; Decius(9), Marcus(2), and Augustus, who was born just last year in 279. Quaestor Luscinus(33) married Alypia, and they have two sons: recently commissioned Commander Muli(16) and Luca(2). Quite the gap there. Tribune Lepidus(27) is the husband of Claudia and their children are Fadia(15), along with sons Manius(12) and Valerius(1). The final marriage was that of Praetor Mus(41) to Marcella, and they have a single son, Cassius(2).

Third Generation -- Only in the past year have any of the third generation become adults: Commander Lawcius married in(Fadia) and Commander Muli just came of age.

Incidentally, this shows that Lawcius married the only woman he could have to join the Coruncanius bloodline -- the rest of the generation is all men! When it's the only choice, perhaps it isn't such a bad choice :P

Then of course we have the Legion of Merit, those who are not part of the previously mentioned line/family and therefore will not found a major roman house and their children will be unknown to history, even if they themselves are remembered.

** Aedile Placus Cornelius Arvina(38, en route to Capua)
** Quaestor Herius Antonius(32, Arretium)
** Tribune Cornelius Secundus Dolabella(27, Rhegion)

By financial necessity, few if any will be added and the Legion of Merit is expected to eventually die out completely, or nearly so.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-25-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote