View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #75
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Tangentially related to your tangential reply, BeIn Sports is also having issues in other markets as they bought a lot of their rights from a Chinese "rights-broker" who have gone out of business. So with seasons starting in the next few weeks, they're still scrambling to have anything to show. Not sure if that affects their US networks.

There's a lot of soccer available on the various services now, but it's getting pricy:

ESPN+ (English Championship, MLS, this weekend's Charity Shield) $5 per month
Fox Match Pass (German BL and BL2, Copa Libertadores) $99 per year
B/R Live (Champions League, Europa League, Scottish PL, Belgian League) $79 per year
NBC Sports Premier League pass (English PL) $49 per year

I may be able to discreetly post a rant on this forum while in the office, but exactly how do they expect many of us who are working to watch these events? For many years, I've recorded them and watched when I got home that evening. Most of my co-workers were nice enough to not spoil it for me (those that follow soccer).

I understand that many are cutting the cord. We'd love to at some point. Are the majority of fans able to truly stream B/R Live on their work computer for a couple of hours (as an example of the US-based option to watch the ManU game today)? The concept of "recording" obviously becomes more difficult and outdated as we move away from traditional TV providers.

Other than live sports, we watch all of our shows via Tivo or streaming (Netflix/Amazon Prime, etc). But I think I'm gonna lose out with these new sports streaming providers.

Bringing it back to soccer:
Quote:
In a seismic shift in how consumers are offered UEFA Champions League and Europa League matches in the United States, the only Europa League game featured on television will be the final (on TNT and B/R Live on May 29). Meanwhile, TNT will televise 46 UEFA Champions League games throughout the season. That’s in stark contrast to FOX Sports’ coverage of the Champions League where they showed 146 games per season on television. For the Europa League, FOX Sports had 205 Europa League matches on TV compared to TNT’s one.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote