View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #439
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Hot or cold?
We've been both this season, a lot.

We've rebounded, and then some. A tremendous 27-3 root over the Paris Musketeers, which was our second near shutout of the season, brought us into .500 land and we followed up by winning a 35-23 fumblefest against the winless Snapfinger Jazz, despite that they actually dominated the game, if you ignore our pass rush and their 7 sacks for a second. But just as we managed to finally get a winning record again, we dropped hard in Bordeaux, losing 27-7 to the Vineyards.

European division
1. Gothenburg 7-1
2. Bordeaux 5-3
3. Maassluis 4-4
4. Paris 3-5

Back to .500 land, that's where we are. It makes me think we're destined for a series of seasons of floating around that 8-8 record. I certainly hope not, but the way we're winning games and losing games, we deserve nothing better or worse than 8-8.

50% is also almost part of Earnest Ashley's faith, as he's currently near the bottom in the league in completion percentage. With a dropped to mediocre yards per attempt figure, we can't claim that he's getting the most he can out of the passes he does complete, although he does rank 3rd in yards per completion, so maybe he does?

The living legend Theodore Bondy is the main culprit, struggling to make the catches, despite being heavily targetted. Not the 42% of the time he used to be, but 30% does have him far ahead of Ed Schulz (only 21% targeted) and Clay Gaynor (23%). Maybe we have some game plan fixing to do? Schulz and George Stuckey can fairly claim that they've surpassed Bondy in skill and efficiency, while Clarence Gore needs to be worked more into the game plan as he continues to be a dangerous receiving tight end.

Our running game continues to be up and down like our results are. The loss of Michael Szott may have been filled by Desmond Pritchett on paper, but he's lacking the endurance to play well all day long and has lost a step or two already from the elite guard that he used to be. Good old Howard Humphrey is actually leading the team in key run blocks again.

On the defense a couple of youngsters is getting the best out of their playing time. Rookie Richie Piotte is in the running for the defensive rookie honors, although I doubt he's got a serious shot at it, with 5.0 sacks and an interception he's in the mix after 8 games played. Second year defensive tackle Harold Gough leads the team with 7.0 sacks and is clearly one of the best at his position this season, especially as a pass rusher. Rookie cornerback Ernie Grant has a broken clavicle and has been rules out for one and a half months. He might be back in time for the last 2 or 3 regular season games. Second year players Zachery Weisz and Bryson Swafford once again get a chance to play, while it also prompted the return of veteran Jackie Richardson into the rotation.

At 4-3, the Solecismic playoffs probabilities calculator had us at roughly 50% to make the playoffs, despite sitting in the 7th seed slot at that point. After the loss in Bordeaux we dropped to roughly 25% and rightfully so, given that we have 3 home games remaining against the last remaining undefeated team (Iowa Cobbers), the AOC leading Gothenburg team and the team we got clobbered by in week 9 (Bordeaux). The other 5 games are all on the road, with trips to Paris (week 17), and in last to first order also to Arizona, Atlanta, Chicago and Orlando, our next stop in this up and down season. Any other season, we'd already pencil it in as a loss, and I think we'll still have to, despite the Orlando Talons' current 2-6 record.

So yes, we're back in the mix after a tough start, but just barely. I have my hopes up, or had before we came home from the drubbing in Bordeaux. Regroup and go back to one game at a time. Orlando it is. They've been pretty one-dimensional on offense, which sounds good initially, but given their overall talent, we have no reason to think we're the favorite, no matter what the odds makers say. Jerald Harrison is an elite quarterback, he can tear apart any defense. Which means the guys have to bring their A game once again. So, Merchantmen, do it, make it happen!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote