View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #110
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
given the market for pitchers that's not insane money for a beckett. particularly given what you'd have to pay to replace him...certainly more than that judging by what they gave lackey.

and with bucholz, bowden and kelly they may feel they have good cost-control in young pitching right now.

I disagree. That was a dumb deal. Red Sox should have dealt Beckett away for more young pitching at midseason, or a younger star pitcher. Giving big money deals to pitchers in their 30s--even early 30s--is bad business. Lackey was bad business, too. It won't burn the Sox this year, but by the end of those deals, they'll regret them, just like they came to regret Lowell and Lugo and even Manny.

FTR, though, the Beckett deal isn't nearly as dumb as the Lackey deal. I guess if you went all in on that one, it makes more sense to do this than to compound the Lackey error by just letting Beckett go.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote