View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #972
sabotai
General Manager

I'm not sure I feel about the Wentz benching. I'm trying to look at it objectively, and as a die-hard Giants fan, that's tough.

Carson Wentz's stats for the last 3 seasons
40 Games, 10,409 yards (260.2 yards per game), 81 TDs, 21 INTs, 96 sacks, 6.2 Sack%

(For reference, NFL average is 5.8% for sacks)

He's having a bad year. He has fixable issues. His mechanics have gotten sloppy and he's prone to 'hero ball'. He's been sacked a lot this year (50), and quite a lot of them were his fault for holding onto the ball during his 'hero ball' moments (and quite a lot are because his offensive line is playing like hot garbage)

If you believe that your franchise QB is having a bad year, but he has fixable issues and can continue being our franchise QB for the next decade, do you ever bench him for any reason? I'd say no. I'd say you let him play through his issues and work on them. Benching your franchise QB undermines his ability to be a leader of the team (IMO anyway).

Wentz is far from the perfect QB. He's always had and will probably always have issues around his mechanics. He'll always have his hero ball moments. This year both (and other issues) have gotten a lot worse. But there's very few reasons to believe that Wentz can't work on them and at least get back in the '17-'19 range of performance again.

One of those few reasons, though, would be that Wentz is uncoachable. At least, that's the rumor I see and hear once in awhile concerning him. It is odd to see a QB's mechanics get worse as the years go on. Tells me that Wentz is either not working on it, or his coaches are too incompetent to spot an issue that everyone else has (or are too incompetent to know how to fix it).

If I were really cynical, I might say this was a move of desperation from a head coach terrified of losing his job. He knows he needs to do "something", or it's likely he'll lose his job. Or, maybe, Peterson really does believe that Wentz is uncoachable, has reached the end of his rope with him, and is moving on to someone he believes is coachable.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote