View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #37
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
All these fad diets are so interesting, it still comes down to calorie intake vs. calorie's burned. Veggie diets work for weight loss because it significantly reduces your calorie in take. But again, you would be far better off long term by eating more and exercising more. And again, for purposes of people on here, who are almost all men, there are differences between men and women's bodies. An all veggie diet is healthier for women because they can supplement their loss of protein with soy. That is not healthy for men.

Again this isn't about losing weight. Basically the idea that heart disease, cancer and a host of other maladies are avoidable without the consumption of animal proteins.

I say this as I watch my wife go through days with greatly reduced pain, days from having to walk with a cane when her mid 30's body is perfectly healthy, to days where she can walk 5 miles at a time with manageable pain. Until you watch the total transformation of a loved one for the better with no more than a dietary change you won't understand.

It all sounds good on paper. I have given little thought and care to what is actually in our food. I figured that it was really overblown, overhyped. I grew up a meat and potatoes person. But the science doesn't lie. The research is solid. Why does America have all these health problems? Why are our incidence rates for these diseases so high and rising? It may not answer all the questions but the stats do show some very strong relationships that cannot be denied.

Like Quick said at the outset:

Quote:
-Politics of health care subsidies set aside for the moment, it's an almost scary notion that there might well be a fairly simple, readily/universally available, and practically dirt-cheap means to very nearly wipe out heart disease, and to at least substantially (if not massively) deplete the prevalence of many cancers and long-term diseases like diabetes, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and the like. Not a way to do it in Sweden or in rural China in the 70s, but right here and right now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote