Old 02-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #63
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Grr, test prep.

/obviously never took any test prep

(400-500 points though? Really?)

I took a look at the new PSAT test booklet, and I wonder if they are trying to be more like the ACT (not that I have ever seen an ACT test). Gone are analogies, and I didn't see much in the way of vocab either - at least, not of the "memorize these 500 words you'll never see in print, ever" variety. It was much more phrase context. An attempt to make it a little more prep-proof maybe?

I have a hard time wrapping my head around remedial courses. For my engineering major you had to at least start with Calculus, and even then you were probably behind the curve.

The SAT is trying to be more like the ACT (because they started to lose market share). The new SAT test which will be held for the first time in March, has been changed in several ways...

1) Essay is optional and no longer factors into the overall score. This was a big change because many colleges hated the essay and were ignoring the writing score of the SAT.

2) The format is very similar. Instead of 10 short sections, the SAT is now 4 longer sections like the ACT.

3) Like the ACT, there is now no penalty for guessing.

4) It now includes more advanced math than before.

As for the analogies, those have been gone for a very long time. They were replaced by sentence completions for a while, which still required ridiculous vocabulary study/memorization.

One of the main differences still in effect is no science section. Right now, my advice to students is to take the SAT if you're strong in math, but take the ACT if you're weak in math.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 02-11-2016 at 04:58 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote