View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #361
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The 2036 San Diego Chargers FA Begins

We have a lot of work to do

But the first thing I am doing is scoping out the draft

Now let me ask you a hypothetical question. Assuming that there was a stud QB on the board at the 1.1 spot...should I take him? Someone who came back great from multiple angles. Should I grab him? What would you do if you had the 14th best QB in the league, but just having hit the 1.1 spot for a 2-14 season? Would you make a play for that QB? Trade down with a QB hungry team? Draft and then trade your veteran in a year or two? What do you do?

I don’t think you draft the stud QB. I think you go elsewhere.

Here is the best player in the draft, at any position, regardless of need: Interviewed at Underrated, 5 combine scores, all red, DE Zachary Toth. You have to take that sort of talent, right?

Now my best DE is injured and my 2nd best is UFA> I can use this guy. Alright, so I’m coming out of this thing with a stud DE. Good.

What else?

Anyone on my roster I need to re-up?

Nope, I have to trim a lot of cap. Where is my money going?

QB Lofton – 37 mill
CB Pigg – 30 mill
LT McHugh – 20 mill
CB Bishop – 20 mill
FL Scott – 16 mill
LB Spencer – 12 mill
DE Weber 10 mill
LT Brink 9 mill
SS Westerfield 7.9 mill
RT Fisk, 7.8 mill
DT Godfrey, 7.8mill
OG Bening, 7.6 mill
TE Gaylor, 7 mill
QB Kranchick – 6 mill

I’m okay with everyone on that list (although several at the top are pretty pricey) save for...CB Bishop (too much for the result) , 31 year old CB starter who last year, started all of our games, had 1 pick and 8 Pasdef, and in his entire career for us, including starting every game of his career save for 3 due to injury, just 2 INTs and 45 PD. Why Bishop? And FL Scott is find in the 50s, but has had just one 1000+ year in his career despite a solid QB throwing to him for us. And Spencer is way too expensive as well for a mid 50s 28 year old LB.

I cut DE Weber, too expensive and aging, and LT Brink, my 3rd best OT. SS Westerfield played well last year with 3 INts and 6 picks. Solid. 8 mill for him is fine. Fisk, Godfrey, Bening, they are all fine. I cut QB Kranchick, and TE Gaylor is a bit much as well. In FA I’ll look for cheaper options for some of these folks. I trim Gaylor now, with Sullivan at 51/51 on board already

I now have 8 mill in cash under my rookie needs. I sign RFAs – TE Amir Graham, CB Dixon,

I cut RB Leroy, who was 4 mill an backup WR Nicky Robbins with 3.5 mill. Oh and C Guthrie as well.

Alright, now I have some cap space. I extend:

QB Autenrieth by a year
RG Chad Bening, 45 mill, 4 years
WR George by a year

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote