View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #30
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

10 June 2014

Paul Sanderson decided to accept transfer offers from a half dozen clubs for striker Craig Thompson. Bradford City, Heart of Midlothian, Ross County, Hamilton, Rotherham, and Swindon all made bids of £300,000 for Thompson; Hamilton and Ross County offered Rochdale 25% of the profit from the sale if Craig were to be sold on from their clubs.

"Those offers were too good to refuse," Sanderson admitted. "We turned down offers for Alan Foster, though. Alan is unquestionably one of our team's leaders."

His leadership might become more important to the club in the wake of an exchange between Sanderson and captain Lee Mason at the team's season-ending talk. Sanderson sent the players off on holiday with an exhortation to work for another top-half finish next season. "I want to give some of our talented young players some first team football," the boss explained. "Otherwise, I'd say we could mount a real challenge for promotion."

Mason surprised everyone in the room by saying he believed Sanderson was being too optimistic. The remaining players sided with their manager, though, and Mason left the meeting in a huff.

"That lack of support bothered me," Paul admitted. "Lee doesn't have a contract for next season, and I don't think we're going to pay him over a thousand quid a week to sit in team meetings and complain." Mason hadn't managed to remain in the first team, which made him a rather expensive substitute.

The promotion and relegation playoffs concluded today. Royal First Division champion Chesterfield would be going up to the Royal Premier, to be joined by playoff winners Southend United and Oxford United. Five clubs were relegated to the Qualifying Groups: Clyde, Lismore Distillery, Prestatyn Town, Gala Fairydean Rovers, and Connah's Quay.

"Did you notice that none of the English clubs were relegated?" assistant manager Louis Johnson pointed out. Nuneaton, Aldershot, and Ebbsfleet--all English clubs--won promotion from the Qualification Groups, but nobody knew which of the groups they'd be assigned to, now that they were in the First Division.

Likewise, six clubs--Alloa Athletic, Arbroath, Dungannon Swifts, Ballymena United, Bala Town, and Newtown--were all dropped from the Royal Premier. And none of them were English.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote