View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #38
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

I'm stepping out of third person mode to explain a little bit about what I'm trying with this dynasty. I've been fascinated with developing young players since I discovered Football Manager. I come by that fascination naturally, since I enjoy seeing players rise from a club's youth program to take their place in the first team in the real Premier League, too.

My philosophy with Rochdale will be based on finding talented young players that bigger clubs might have given up on and seeing if I can develop them into first team regulars. I spent a good portion of Rochdale's wage budget on teenagers who were released from Premier League youth teams. Here are the players I've brought into the team this way, along with the club where they were youth candidates:

Code:
Player Youth Club Jamie Barker Everton Herman Barstad Manchester City Jamie Bennett Everton Anthony Cox Bolton Wanderers Kevin Jones Everton Barry King Liverpool Jack McDonald Chelsea Max McKenzie Blackburn Rovers Anthony Murphy Arsenal Isaiah Murphy Crystal Palace Brian Nelson Preston Robert Owen Manchester City Richard Pickering Liverpool Daniel Salis Manchester City Johannes Scherrer Manchester City Florian Schlegel Derby County Brian Speight Manchester United Stuart Try Southampton Laszlo Vass Liverpool Andrew Whatley Manchester United

The other youngsters in the club were Rochdale lads from the beginning, with the exception of Robert Shillito, whom I signed in fall '13.

Note: I didn't use the "search" function or any of the editors to track these players down. My scouts found them, or I learned about them from news stories I received in my inbox.

Perhaps one day we'll be reading about the "Class of '14" that led Rochdale to greatness. Or, the experiment will fail miserably and I'll be sacked. Either way, it will be fun to see how it turned out.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote