View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #50
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

The week began with interesting news from international play. Three Rochdale players met at Liberty Stadium in Swansea when Wales and Austria played a goalless draw in a U21 friendly. Robert Owen and Kevin Jones started on the Welsh back line, with Johannes Scherrer playing in Austria's midfield.

Tomas Juozaitis wore the captain's armband for Lithuania in their 0-0 draw against Romania. "It was a great honor to captain my country," said Juozaitis, in a press meeting at St. Darius and St. Girenas stadium in Kaunas. The match was Juozaitis' 24th full international cap.

Prior to Rochdale's match with Wrexham, Paul Sanderson supported embattled Wrexham boss David Wainwright. "I'm firmly of the opinion that patience in football will be rewarded. The turnover of managers at the minute is getting ridiculous and I'd urge the board at Wrexham to give David more time because he's a very capable manager," Paul told Nic Thurgood of the Manchester Evening News.

4 April 2015
Wrexham at Rochdale

GK: Sakari Kinnunen
D: Ger Dykes, Tomas Juozaits, Andy Carr, John Spendlove
M: Dean Pirie, Paul Webb
AM: Alan Foster, Joe Webb
ST: Steven Jackson, Andy Sim

Paul Sanderson's side didn't make David Wainwright's job any more secure. Rochdale scored three times in the first 12 minutes, were up 5-0 before the hour mark, and coasted to a 5-2 victory.

Steven Jackson had a brace, and so did wing back John Spendlove. Spendlove's second goal was an early candidate for Goal of the Month--a whistling 20-yard strike that found its way between Wrexham keeper Jim Blake and his far post.

Andy Sim got the other Rochdale goal, his 23rd in league play, one fewer than Stuart Warren of Kidderminster Harriers.

Final score: Rochdale 5-2 Wrexham

Fleetwood United won again, so Rochdale remain three points off their pace with eight matches remaining. Two teams automatically earned promotion to the Royal Premier League, and Rochdale held the second spot by three points over York City.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote