View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #477
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So I just noticed that there's a 5K/10K race at the beach on Saturday morning. If I decide to do the 10K and go all-out, how would I structure the rest of the week's workouts? Lower body strength training was scheduled for Friday, but I can always just push that to Saturday some time after the race. What about any running on Friday? After the hard intervals today, I was planning on going rather light. Should I run at all?

For a 10k race, I usually take off 1 or 2 days before. So with a Saturday race, you can take off tomorrow to rest up and give your legs a chance to be fresh.

10k is short enough of a distance that most of the taper guidelines for half-marathon or marathon or further distances aren't necessarily followed for it. The basic rule of thumb is anything that you do tomorrow won't help you for the 10k race and will likely hurt you by adding fatigue in. If you're just doing the 10k for fun and don't care about the performance, then you can stick to a training plan and run tomorrow if you want. Since you said before that you are in between training plans for a few weeks, I would just take it as a rest day tomorrow myself.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote