View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I move through the draft quickly, we have 1 first round pick and 4 second round picks. We pick 29th so we're not going to have many options. I take a flyer on 6'7" SF Rodney Roy. He was the best looking player still on the board, and we'll ship his butt to the D-Leagues for the next 2 seasons. We've got a glut of players at the 2 and 3, so he wouldn't see much playing time. I let our scouts pick in the 2nd round and they pick 2 point guards and 2 bigs, neither look like much to get excited about. I'll hang on to their rights for now, and see if I can't use them to maybe sweeten a trade or something.

Troy Murphy and Marcus Camby are our only two free agents. Murphy wants ridiculous money to resign after we didn't pick up his option for $10 million for this season. I'm pretty confident I can get the same production out of Boris Diaw who is signed for 3 more seasons at about $2.5 million per. Ideally, I'd like to find a young PF and a veteran PF/C.

There are several interesting names at PF and C: Blake Griffin, Kevin Love, Dwight Howard to name a few. They all want max deals, and while we could afford them now, we'll have to extend Irving and Williams in the near future. Mr. Danbert is very willing to spend, but he's also very fickle. I could see him selling the team especially if we continue to improve, and I don't want to have to blowup our team just because we get a cheapskate owner.

So, while it would be intriguing to make a splash with one of the marquee free agents, I decide to pass again. The second tier of players are definitely not struggling with low self-esteem. They have a much high value of themselves than what I can justify paying.

The trade market is my next option. I find a few players with decent contracts who can fulfill a role for me on the team.

I send:
PG Jamal Sanders

to Atlanta for:
PF Jeremy Tyler
2014 2nd Rd Pick

Sanders has upside, but with Irving and Washington ahead of him, he's not going to have much of an opportunity with us. Tyler is still pretty raw, but he's also cheap and willing to sign a 3 year extension for about a million a season, so he's now under contract for 5 seasons at a very decent reserve salary. He'll be Diaw's primary backup this season.

I send:
SG Corey Brewer
PG Adam LaPointe

to Houston for:
SG Kevin Martin

Brewer is the last remaining Cav from my first season, and he was a solid player for us that year. However with each season, his role was reduced on the team. LaPointe is another uber-raw player with upside, but he's more of a scoring point guard than a pass-first point guard. Martin is a solid scorer in the league, averaging 21 points last season. He's under contract for three more seasons at just over $5 million a season.

We've got 15 players on our roster, but only 13 are under contract. Project bigs Art Watkins and Dickey Henderson are pretty raw, with limited upside. I don't think they'll ever contribute much to us. They would have been some of the best players on the team my first season. I'm going to look and see if I can flip them for a developmental rookie to plug in the d-league who might be more useful down the road. I ship them to Memphis for PG Matt Shin, a player I'd worked out and wanted to pick in this past draft, but they picked him in the slot before me. Shinn is a little more polished either of the two PGs I just traded, and I think he'll have a nice career as a backup. He'll be in the D-League this season. I'm hoping he'll develop enough to give me confidence to let Aaron Brooks walk next season. He's my #3 PG at the moment and is in the last year of his deal. He'll free up another $5 million in cap room which will keep us in good shape financially going forward.

I offer extensions to PG Kyrie Irving and SF Derrick Williams. Irving is well on his way to becoming a special player in this league, and Williams continues to improve each season. I wish he was developing as quickly as Irving, and he might not be the player I envisioned, but he's not asking for crazy money, so we keep him. I also offer extensions to SG James Anderson, 3 years @ 1.7 million each.

We'll only have two free agents next offseason, Brooks and backup C Omer Asik. He's not eligible to sign an extension right now unfortunately. We'll have to take our chances in free agency or maybe try to trade him for another comparable player.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote