View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 07:36 PM   #221
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Congratulations, Edward. Sorry SI.

I can't be too upset. We lost to the team that played better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Potentially Arkansas, UConn, and then either UCLA or Gonzaga out west

/chuckles/ I'm in danger.

SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You have NBA dudes on your team, tho. Not interested in that for our 8/9 team. I think there's a decent chance we go home on Saturday.

SI

Kindof saw some of this coming. We got a banner last year and that was awesome. But partly because of that (and partly because we still have the shadow of the FBI investigation), we just didn't have enough. This team has been an imperfect "island of misfit toys" team all season long. Self is a miracle worker to have this team play as well as it did with 17 quad 1 wins and yet another conference title.

From the outside, we looked strong. A 1st team AA forward and strong PG from a natty team, a lottery freshman, and some good role players. But, by that same token, it's a short PG who doesn't want to shoot, a freshman SG with bad D, the wing who can't shoot but can board and defend to cover up for the freshman SG, and a C who is maybe 6'6" around that 1st team AA player. And a bench was a pair of freshman forwards who fouled a lot (Udeh is going to be good maybe as soon as next year, tho), a backup SG who couldn't shoot as well as the lottery player and defended even worse, and a backup PG who was ok at running offense and has no offensive game, even as a sophomore.

If it had made a deep run, it would have been seen to Kansas fans as a beloved scrappy underdog like 2012. It's funny how the perceptions outside and inside the program were so different.

But, hey, there's always next year. Harris, Adams, Udeh, and Rice (if he returns) are a decent core. We'll need some shooting and the team will have to buy in on defense. And that's all assuming Self is healthy enough to coach. So long as he's on the sidelines, we have a chance. But if he has to step back for health reasons, well, I get that, too.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote