Opening Day in Charlote!

October 28, 2011

Boston(0-0) at Charlotte(0-0)

CHA:BOS
82:91 OVR
74:94 OFF
83:92 DEF

Boston Scouting

PG Rajon Rondo - 90 OVR - Rondo almost averaged a double double last year, 13.4 points/9.2 assists, 5.5 boards on top of that, a great guard. A+ perimter D to go with great ball handling and a decent outside shot.

SG Anthony Riley - 67 OVR - Tracy McGrady is hurt to open the year so they're going to be hurting here. Riley was an undrafted FA last year, only averaging 1.4 points last season. Not a scorer at all, quite a weak link.

SF Paul Pierce - 84 OVR - Pierce is 34 now and still going strong. 19.2 points/game last year, a great scorer, decent defender and an ok ball handler for a SF

PF Kevin Garnett - 88 OVR - 35 years old but again still going strong. 17.2 points/game and 9.4 boards last year, still a superstar.

C Jim Baylor - 62 OVR - The 30th pick in the draft last year. Kendrick Perkins and rasheed Wallace are both hurt.

With McGrady, Perkins, and Wallace hurt the Celtics depth is non-existent. They are espicially weak inside, they'll likely be running a number of 4 guard sets as a result, whenever Garnett is out of the game we'll need to try to force it inside every time down. The big question will be whether our superior depth or their superstar players will rule the day. Later in the year I'd feel better about this as their older stars would be worn down, but on opening day I dunno.

First Quarter

Boston 27
Charlotte 18

I try to go into Padgett early and Garnett totally shuts him down, no go thre at all. Diaw gets hot once he comes in off the bench and helps out a bunch, but its not looking good at all. Garnett plays the entire quarter and has 10 points. Boston's top pick, SF Donny Tiggs, rated 71 OVR, has 6 points in the first quarter of his first game. On our side, Diaw has 8 points in 4 minutes, 4-4 shooting. Walace 4, Padgett 4 but only on 1-6 shooting(and two free throws). My first round pick, 7'3" Dell Sparks gets into the game and immediately hands the ball to Garnett the first time he touches it. Welcome to the NBA bud! He's big though. Damn big.

Second Quarter

Boston 54
Charlotte 46

We have a chance to take the last shot of the half and turn it over and allow a breakaway dunk instead. Turnovers and Kevin Garnett are the stories of the game. Garnett has 18 points and is dominating. Rookie Tiggs has 10, Pierce has 10 and 7 assists. Rondo has 4 points/4 assists. On our end Diaw has 12, Wallace 9, Chandler has 8 inside and is playing well. Padgett 6 points/4 boards on 1-7 shooting. But turnovers are killing us. Augustin has 3 turnovers and we have 10 total to only 2 for Boston. Limit the turnovers and we're right in the mix. When Garnett is out we do indeed domiante inside, which is why Chandler is doing so well.

Third Quarter

With 7 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter its 64-64, with Ray Allen leading the most explosive offensive charge i've ever had in a game i played out. Allen hits 4 straight jump shots, two midrange jumpers and two threes. He's got Paul Pierce on him and easily gets open and i've been finding him for some great catch and shoot opportunities. Gerald Wallace follows up that 10 point stretch(Boston did score 4 in that run btw, not a 10-0 run) with a monster dunk and 3 point play and we tie the game!

Charlotte 83
Boston 75

We keep it close for a couple more minutes and then explode for 7 straight and take the lead and don't look back. In my rotation, I limit Ray Allen to about 29 minutes a game. That's all he can go without spending a number of minutes on the court near exhaustion. He wants more minutes but he simply can't do it at age 35. Garnett has now played 33 minutes, and he only scored 4 points in the 3rd. I don't think its a coincidence at all. Pierce and Garnett went totally cold, missing wide open shots left and right. Garnett 22, Tiggs 13, Pierce 12.

We won this quarter 37-21. One thing I didn't mention yet is blocked shots. Chandler has 4, Allen 1, Padgett 1, Sparks 1. Many of thsoe were in the 3rd. Wallace was great in transition, Augustin and Allen were hitting jumpers. Wallace 16, Augustin 15, Chandler 12, Allen 10(he was scoreless before his 10-0 run. GREAT quarter.

Fourth Quarter

5:30 to go - We've had backups in the backcourt, Padgett/Chandler in the front court for the entire quarter so far. The clock hasn't stopped much and i haven't had a desire to see it stop really, we're up 14. I reverse the situation, subbing in my starting back court and backups up front.

3:40 to go - Boston has 5 straight and we lead 97-88.

2:55 to go - Boston cuts it to 7 and Augustin bails us out with a huge 3, 100-90.

We seal it pretty easily, Boston had one shot to cut it to 6 with about a minute left, a stop and a bucket at that point ended the game.

Charlotte 106
Boston 96

Chandler: 20 points/5 boards/5 blocks (10-12 shooting!)
Wallace: 18 points/5 boards/6 assists
Augustin: 18 points/9 assists
Padgett: 14 points/13 boards (5-15 shooting)
Diaw: 12 points
Allen: 10 points
Henderson: 6 points
Sparks: 4 points/6 boards/2 blocks

Pierce 27/5 boards/8 assists, Garnett 26 points/9 boards/5 assists. Rondo 8 points/11 assists. Their injuries just kill them. Pierce and Garnett are too old to do this really. Both played over 40 minutes and should probably be playing at most 35 to play near full effectiveness.

Chandler is 7'1". Garnett was the tallest Celtic on the court at 6'10". Tiggs, their rookie, is 6'9" but more of a SF who cannot hope to guard a strong center. Basically, any time anyone but Garnett was on Chandler, he could get a look from 5 feet or closer.

Sparks could too btw, and Sparks is 7'3". But Sparks offensive skills don't exist... hopefully they'll develop. Sparks can score if he catches the ball right at the basket and can just reach up and put it in, but he doesn't have any post moves. But he's huge, and he gets rebounds and blocks shots. I love him already as a backup center.

Last season, espicially with injuries, I had so,so many minutes where Gerald Henderson was my best scoring option. Even with Felton still hurt... I'm bringing Diaw/Henderson/Sparks/Vucacic off the bench, there was no point in the entire game where I didn't have 2 or 3 people that i was comfortable taking a shot if I got them a half decent look. MUCH improved over last year, barring new injury issues of course.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote