View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #24
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, what should I make of a guy like RB Cooper Mayo?

I realize he's an 8th year guy, this is not a build-around player for us. What interests me is his productivity.

Drafted in the late 1st round, after one decent-not-great rookie year he gets traded to STL, a team that's usually a contender (so I don't suspect a dumbass gameplan in this mix). To my eye, Mayo looks pretty good... hardly any bad bars, big breakaway/outside ratings, and no voids. Seems to me like he should have been a solid RB1 for a long time.

Instead, he muddles around, getting three total seasons with 200+ carries, and a few more as a rotation guy. One season, he posts nice numbers - 201-1,041 for 5.18 ypc. He had another season with a weird 14 TD tally. But for his career, he's barely 4 ypc, and in FOF I think you expect more from that if you're investing in the position with either an early pick or a fat contract.

So... is this guy basically no good? I concluded that my recent castoff Drake Bryant was apparently just no good, despite a set of bars that looked decent-to-good to me.

I confess I don't understand running backs in this game. Maybe it's sample size. Maybe it's gameplan. Regardless... I would really like to have a sparkplug RB2 in this offense, and on paper, to me, Mayo looks like he should be that guy... I'd love to see him post 80-450 on the season, as a change-of-pace to our straight-ahead starter Banks getting me 200-1100.

But if Mayo instead delivers 80-350, I'm flushing money down the drain, and should instead just be using one of these young high-personality affinity clowns in that job. Anyone can give us 4 yards a carry behind this line, and in this offense.

So... beats me. I suspect I will just trust the bars that I see, and give him that hundred carries to prove me right or wrong.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote