View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #640
whomario
Pro Starter

Laws are subject to change, there really is no reason why ammendments can't be adjusted to the realities of modern lives just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
I think it is a mistake to frame this as an either/or decision. Just look at state and local guns laws.

Sorry, but I gotta ask: when dealing with the IRA bombings wasn't the UK approach both repressive and harsh while also trying to achieve lasting stability?

No offense, but this just isn't a sensible comparison.

That whole situation not only was a territorial conflict with religious overtones, it also lasted at least 30 years, maybe 40 (pending how you count) with lulls and high activity times, constituting a sort of guerilla war between 3 major factions. Or 2 opposed paramilitary and then Government forces with a whole lot of gray areas and different organisations leading the charge at different times. I really haven't studied the conflict much, but from what little i know i think you'd be hard pressed to find a coherent response to it.
To call it "the IRA bombings" is extremely simplifying the matter as well. It's like calling WW2 "that war where the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour and then we kicked their ass for it".

And even if you'd do that and make it into a "Government vs Bombers" discussion with regard to the response: It is apples and oranges again, comparing policy against a politically motivated terrorist organisation versus "random" acts of violence aided by the USs specifics with regards to weapons availability.

And at the risk of sounding harsh: I am not so sure a lot of people aren't secretly "happy" to have the discussion now revolve pretty much entirely around schools as targets. It just dumbs down the situation to a graspable level and seemingly gives an "out" without having to stepping on the toes of the people that matter to the current administration: Fight fire with fire.

It's the same psychology leading to attacks on video games or movies/TV as the reason behind violence. Every developed country has schools, pissed off and bulied students (and former students, or co-workers or crime) and every developed country has pretty much the same video games and movies/TV.

And the schools in most countries (i know of) aren't nearly as well guarded/controlled as the USs already were and most countries i know of have more lenient rules with regards to violence in media and access to it than the US.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-13-2018 at 02:22 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote