Thread: Lost, Season 2
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 09:22 AM   #119
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
The certainly could have made it a 2-hour premier (and probably should have for our sake), but for ratings they're going to want to drag this out over as many weeks as possible. I guess I can't blame them, it's all in the game. Still, I'll admit some weeks can be pretty frustrating. I would rate this episode a C , after rating the season opener an A+.

I guess it all depends with why you watch/enjoy the show, but I have yet to be frustrated by the show for not revealing enough of the mysteries or answering enough questions. If anything, I enjoy how each episode sorta of works to deepen the mystery allowing fans of the show to try and hash out what exactly is going on and how one thing related to another.

I don't think the show has done anything stupid to delay answering questions. It's not like one of the characters suddenly got anmensia for a few hours, or a cougar appeared out of nowhere, or the guy with the answers to the questions was suddenly put upon and killed by a gang of rednecks in downtown Los Angeles. Unlike "24" (from which all the examples above are taken), the writers haven't gone off on any superfluous frolics or detours to extend the show or obfuscate the mysteries. Each scene either further developes the characters, deepens the mysteries, answers some small part of it, or some combination of all three. The plot and story are moving along at their own pace. The characters are great and deep and I enjoy watching their stories unfold on screen and seeing how one thing connects with another.

Take last night's episode for example. I thought the scene from Locke's perspective was great. The clock, the riddle, the "are you him", the interaction between Locke and Kate, Kate crawling through the air ducts (hubba hubba!), all of that. I would much rather see all of the details and the mysteries from each angle and let things deepen, than just sort of a "set 'em up, knock 'em down" approach to questions in the show.

So long as the characters remain believable and true and the quality of the writing, acting, and directing remain top notch (as they have been throughout) I am more than happy to sit back and enjoy the ride.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote