BYU 14
Coordinator

Event – CFW Valentines Vendetta
Sunday week 3 – February, 1983
Nashville, TN
Attendance: 15,000 (sell out)
Rating: 0.36 (274,340 viewers)

Pre Show
To get the fans warmed up, Jake Roberts won a battle royal in 15:48. The other members of the 'final four' were Mike Rotundo, Randy Savage and Hiro Matsuda, with Mike Rotundo being the final elimination. Randy Savage got the most eliminations over the course of the match.
Rating: C

Main Show
In an exceptional match, Blackjack Mulligan defeated Kareem Muhammad in 10:12 by pinfall with a Cow Rope. Blackjack Mulligan makes defense number 6 of his Florida Television title.
Performance: Mulligan B+, Muhammad C
Rating: B-

Dusty Rhodes has a microphone and launches into his usual eloquent prose for the crowd. "Sully baby, ta-night, ta-night, TA-NIGHT sweet daddy….me and you, the Dream and Devil if you weel, it’s gonna be a whole lotta pain babeee, you say you come from the darkness Sullivan, well Dusty Rhodes, the American Dream is a shinin’ beacon of hope for da everyman, and ta-night, dat light will shine and light up the state of Tennessee, while Dusty Rhodes lights up your booty daddy!!!"

In a bout that had a decent reaction from the crowd but sub-par wrestling, Les Thornton defeated Spike Huber in 11:15 by submission with a Boston Crab after blatantly cheating, in a match that calms the crowd that is frothing at the mouth after Rhodes promo.
Performance: Thornton D-, Huber E
Rating: E+

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Bob Roop defeated Rip Morgan in 12:28 by pinfall with a Shoulder Breaker as Morgan makes his CWF debut.
Performance: Roop C, Morgan D+
Rating: D+

Ricky Steamboat gives Solie an interview hyping his upcoming singles match with Sgt. Slaughter, expressing his gratitude to the CWF fans for welcoming him for this match and promising to give them his absolute best.

Sgt. Slaughter appears and is enraged at Steamboat. "You no good, rotten maggot!! You waltz in here like visiting royalty thanking the fans of CWF for supporting you? Let me make this absolutely clear you filthy slime, you are not welcome here in CWF! You are an invader and just like the Marines stormed the shores of Iwo Jima and crushed your forefathers, I will crush you, you filthy foreign scum!" Slaughter storms off as Solie wonders aloud if he knows Steamboat is actually Hawaiian.

In a bout that had great heat and good wrestling, Don Muraco defeated Magnum T.A. in 17:28 by stoppage when Magnum T.A. was injured and could not continue after a Jake Roberts run in and attack left him writhing in pain holding his knee.
Performance: Muraco B-, Magnum C-
Rating: C+

After the bell Muraco and Roberts continue to stomp away on Magnum TA, eventually being driven off by security.
Rating: D+

In a bout that had fantastic heat and good wrestling, Bobby Duncum and Ron Bass defeated Barry Windham and Mike Graham in 16:19 when Bobby Duncum defeated Mike Graham by pinfall with a Piledriver following interference from Blackjack Mulligan, which leaves the crowd in a state of shock. Bobby Duncum and Ron Bass win the Florida Tag Team titles.
Performance: Windham C+, Graham C, Duncum C, Bass D+

As Windham approaches his father and asks him what the hell is going on, Mulligan waylays Barry with a clotheslines and continues to kick him as Bass and Duncum join in

In an exceptional match, Sgt. Slaughter defeated Ricky Steamboat in 18:02 by count out after being rammed into the turnbuckle, and then held in the Cobra Clutch until he passed out, with Slaughter just sliding back into the ring in time. Sgt. Slaughter makes defense number 2 of his NWA Southern Heavyweight title.
Performance: Steamboat B+, Slaughter C
Rating: B

In a bout that had fantastic heat and good wrestling, Dusty Rhodes defeated Kevin Sullivan in 21:41 by disqualification after Sullivan sprayed a mysterious purple mist into Rhodes eyes as The Dream prepared to deliver his finishing elbow.
Performance: Rhodes C, Sullivan C
Rating: C-

Show Rating: C+ (Lost popularity in the Southeast and gained it in four other regions)
Notes from the Booker:
  • Randy Savage stood out in the pre-show battle royal, while Brian Blair was hampered by an injury.
  • Mulligan and Muhammad got the show off to a strong start
  • Rip Morgan debuts his bad ass gimmick and it gets an above average rating
  • Muraco was good in the post match beatdown of TA
  • Duncum and Bass have poor chemistry as a tag team, but the Mulligan turn was a complete success
  • Slaughter worked through an injury in his match with Steamboat and it took a toll
  • After all the buildup Sullivan and Rhodes don’t click in ring!! Dammit!

Behind the Curtain:
  • In my post match speech I compliment Mulligan and Steamboat, who are both pleased and tell Rhodes I expect better, which elicits no response.
  • I have a laundry list of moral issues and back stage rating is down to 23%, not good!
  • Dusty Rhodes, Bob Roop and Kevin Sullivan offer their less than flattering opinions on Kareem Muhammad, Spike Huber and Scott McGhee respectively, thanks but I didn’t ask!
  • After all that McGhee comes back as positive for steroids, really jobber? I fire him and it improves his actions, but he now has heat with me. I offer Bryan St. John to take his spot as cannon fodder
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote