View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #428
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Major FA Players:

RB Percy Romine, 65/65. 7th year vet though, wants 3 year deal for 12 mill range. That’s pretty solid.

CB Malik Coxwell – 66/66, 6th year vet, wants 4 years, 78 mill

FL Cedric Wilcox, 61/61, 5th year, wants 4 years, 54 mill – If I want to push a strong three WR corps

There are a few high profile, older, DE ,like 64/64 DE Jalen Bradley, 10th year vet and 58/58 Dillon Matteson, 11th year.

WLB Devon McCarthy, 5th year vet, 54/54, wants 4 yers, 57 mill

This is just a strong FA class.

We have younger players, like a 54/54 5th year OG and such. There are two 50/50 RBs on the board as well.

Alright, let’s sign DE Rogers.

He wants 5 years, 160+ mill.

I end up with a flatter, but high cap hit, 5 years and 136 mill. 26.7 cap hit this year, and it drops a bit next year (same salary, but no additional cap hit from rookie deal)

Ways to free up cap space:

Cut 42/42 TE Blades; WLB Casey Joyner

Extend Burton and drop his cap hit this year from 26 mill to 19 mill, extending it one year.

Cut Burton to free 21 mill instead

Free up 2 mill by extended CB Greene for two years.

Cut Greene to free up more cap space than it worth. No reason to do that.

We are 20 mill under the cap, and 10 mill free for new players. I want to chase Romine.

The best way to free up cap is to cut Burton. But Burton feels like a womb to tomb player for me. And yet, 5.5 sacks isn’t going to cut it, and Burton was never that great sackmaster, like Velazquez was. He has 96 sacks in ten years, with that Defensive Player of the Year award a few years ago in 2030. He’s had a similar career to Mario Williams.

Burton has never been that sackmaster supreme. But he has been playing LDE< the hard position, because, for most of his career with us, that’s been his place. Maybe I should swap him to RDE next year? Although, to be fair, his pass rush is 39 and strength is 60. That’s not really an RDE style force either.

I push the decision off, but it’s probably time.

I’ll need a DE though, that creates a need. But again, I can make 6 mill by extended DE Burton a year, so I want to hold off a moment. I still want to extend SS Malachi McKnight too.

I sign a few RFA:

WR Kim Riley, QB Caden Kubrak,

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote