View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #159
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. I guess for me I always try to play these games realistically, moreso as I get older(I'm much less of a metagamer than I used to be). In that vein, chance that a top school offers a scholarship to a player without a scouting trip playing a significant role in the evaluation: basically near zero. Therefore it's near zero for me.

I hope that rankings and stats aren't that determinative in the game, but if they are, that's my loss in the competitive sense I guess . One of the reasons I love this league is that I feel minimal pressure to be supercompetitive.

This is the way I look at it Brian, which I think makes it fun because there is strategy to it. Some guys offer blindly (AI does too) to get a jump on recruits without scouting, however, if you scout and don't offer, one of your other guys might not have an offer and might actually be better than the guy that got offered already.

On the other hand if the guy offers and the scout doesn't come back exactly what it should be, the other guy needs to make a choice. Does he drop off that recruit and basically have no shot at him again (which means he just wasted time and money) or does he keep on a kid and accept his flaws. Either way you make out in that deal. A prime example of this occurred last year with the Number 12 recruit in the nation Charles Pugsley (he didn't sign with anyone btw). His ratings weren't were they should have been and nobody really wanted him.

So ranking and stats don't always tell the entire story. Sometimes they do, but other times they don't. Groundhog said it earlier when he said he lives with a guy that should have been a B but is a C. It's about what you can accept and what you cant accept. I think you and I are similar in that respect. I can't accept that, so I scout, and rarely offer without seeing what my scout thinks of the guy.

As far as realistically goes, I have friends who are head coaches (D-2) that trust scouting service reports (they pay for them) and will offer quickly based on that report (because they want to say they offered first), and then they go see the kid in person later. There isn't a doubt in my mind that some smaller D-1's do that to get jumps as well. So if that helps

I'm personally having a blast in the league due to how much activity there seems to be, and because of who all is in it. I want to be good, but its not the end all be all to see Vince and Stanford, or Kirk in Washington beat up on me. I'm having fun losing all the same and being able to read your reports and everybody elses. I think we have a good thing going.

Last edited by muns : 08-17-2015 at 10:53 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote