View Single Post
Old 11-08-2022, 01:14 PM   #1154
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Interestingly I feel like it's the other way around. Like this has been a few years coming and it's finally come to fruition. They've had harder and harder times in their road games, overall haven't been as dominant, etc.

It's two really close games they lost ... but they also barely escaped Texas. There was only half of the third quarter that Texas A&M wasn't within a touchdown. Neither of those are elite teams. So it's not 'they had two close games and lost both of them' but 'they had four close games and lost half of them'.

In terms of 'the new Alabama', I detest that language whatever it's applied to. Georgia isn't the new Alabama, they never will be, but if you ask who is the best program in the country right now, it's Georgia. If they win again this year and don't fall flat next year, they are a dynasty. Even if they don't win the title this year I think you'd be hard pressed to say anyone else is better than them overall in the current state of the sport. Alabama and Clemson both seem to be on the decline, the Ryan Day version of Ohio State doesn't appear - at least so far - to be strong enough to challenge them, or anyone out of the Big 12/Pac 12 etc. They've been good-to-great every year since 2017.

Rather than 'the new Alabama' I'd call them 'the first Georgia'. As in, the version of Georgia that is the best in the land, for however long that lasts.

I agree with all of this. With an additional caveat that it's probably unrealistic to expect /any/ program to be as good as Alabama has been the last 15 years - there isn't always one of those. It was historically good and is appropriately mentioned with the best dynasties in college football history.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote