View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #466
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: How little things can cheer you up
Or how little things might mean a lot more than we perceive.

The Maassluis Merchantmen have a new offensive coordinator! Alexander Petty has been replaced after two seasons of not getting our offense anywhere. Coming in is Clarence Byrd, a smashmouth adept, previous the San Antonio Tidal Force head coach. It wasn't much of a success, they won 12 games. Not, not in a single season, in those 4 seasons. Byrd is returning to his old profession, he used to be an offensive coordinator, a job he held for 15 seasons with four difference franchises. Initially with the Kansas Creationists for 4 seasons, then 2 seasons with the Capital City Blues, 7 with the Chesapeake Chitterlings and 2 seasons with the Tucker Tigers, with whom he won an IHOF Bowl in his first season. The 'promotion' to head coach in San Antonio was clearly not much of a success and as the Tidal Force hired a new head coach, Byrd got his chance to return to what he does best. Alexander Petty didn't have to wait long to get his name called, he ended up with his dream job: he was hired by the Hanalei Dragons as their new offensive coordinator.

Next order of business: investigating which players will be out of contract after the season, to get a sense of which will require an investment in cap space and which will be somewhat easy to hold on to. Early outlook of players that want to get paid: LT/RT Isaac Delgado (+$11M), LT Johnnie Houston (+$15M), TE Clay Gaynor (+$22M) and most prominently QB Earnest Ashley (+$42M). All four are a risk for going into hold out.

Bad news of the day? Quarterback Marty Forland was traded to the Paris Musketeers. Not only does that bring one of the best passers in the league into the division, it also means I got outbid by the Musketeers. They paid two future first round picks for a 33-year old 13th year veteran. I was willing to pay a couple of second round picks, but a couple of first rounders felt too much. Don't tell Earnest Ashley though, despite his absurd $55M/year request, I do feel like we're in the business again to invest in a QB. A guy like Forland would cost something like $75M/year, even as a short term solution.

The situation reminded me once again of the 2078 off-season, when I signed free agent QB Bennett Morris and drafted RB Walt Blair. Those two guys turned a decent offense into one of my favorite offenses ever. J.R Mills regressed from 2,228 receiving yards to 1,756, but also improved to 17 touchdowns. We reached the AOC Championship game that season. Blair's season was cut short after 10 games, but boy was that a fun RB to watch. So much different from the two Hall of Famers Norbert Talley and Stanley Givens. A bit more of Donald Terry, but with the endurance to actually carry the ball 25 times.

So yeah, I can sometimes daydream of good decision made in the past and hope I can recreate them.

We're coming off two seasons with a negative point differential. Last time we went through that back-to-back was back in 2022... Back then we were very bad, we were outscored 8 straight seasons. Then came the 2023 off-season. We traded for RB Stanley Givens, drafted WR Terry Thomason to give the legendary Gabe Springer a sidekick. Even the injury to Russell Harrison wasn't enough to have him and Patrick McDonnell become the best QB (duo) in the league that season.

Sure, sure, 2078 was kind of an era ago, 2023 was like 3 or 4 eras ago. Still, turnaround is possible, both times it did require some investment in players and that's where I should go this off-season. No tipping of my hand, but I think this is where we are this off-season and what has to be done. The defense is ready, the offense needs a new starter or four to get into a truly good shape. With or without Earnest Ashley? We'll see about that after pre-season...

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 03-13-2021 at 12:58 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote