View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #498
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes: Cap space!
And a couple of new rookies.

And a long snapper. Goodness, we know it's part of the game, but it's always tricky to find a good long snapper. Especially if you're used to great standards and just had the best in business retire. We signed 29-year old Sebastian Garner, he was previously with the Arizona Miners and actually failed to maker their 2097 roster. Does this mean he's our guy for 2098? You'll never know with my standards for special teamers...

Speaking of special teamers, after a two-step trade down from pick 2.20 to 3.9, we ended up selecting top graded kicker Gino Shea. We didn't interview him, not particularly anticipating to go for a replacement of Dylan McMullen here, so there might be a modest chance that we'll go into the 2098 season with 2 kickers on roster. Could we? Really? McMullen could mentor Shea. McMullen wants a big increase on his contract, which isn't something I'm willing offer him.

We did offer new contracts to a bunch of veterans, most importantly our WR1 Ed Schulz and former stud linebacker Brandon Brady. The latter has turned into a pure run stopper, so his complaints about playing time aren't going to chance soon, which means I will keep my eyes open for a new linebacker. Daquan Espino is unwilling to re-sign with us, which is too bad, as we hung on to him and his fat contracts despite having regressed into replacement level player.

We did bolster our defense at the 3.17 slot in the draft by picking defensive end Robbie Dobreski. Going into the draft, this was the guy I wanted to pick. My staff is very optimistic about him being a suitable replacement for recently retired Gene Kondovski. Wait and see, obviously.

After a bunch of renegotiations and draft pick trades, we're now at 48 players signed, the incoming rookies Vinny Buysse and aforementioned Shea and Dobreski with about $23M in cap space. We're going to need it, not just to lock up Ernie Grant and Richie Piotte, but also a bunch of other veterans. Not to mention that I'd still like to bring back Branden Sandlin and Hayden McNeil. Sandlin's salary request is far away what we can afford for a WR4, 5 or 6 though, so it's going to be tricky. McNeil might see us get some competition to re-sign him as the free agents market is drying out, so I will have to consider what to offer him now or risk losing him.

We're also in possession of three seventh round picks, which means we can snag up a bunch of guys before they become undrafted rookies. And there's always a chance that I second guess things and move back into this draft...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote