View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #248
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Northern Divisional Meet

Bear

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 1

100 IM – 5TH : 1:22.29 – The fly in this one looked good, but the back to breast turn was slow, and he overworked the breast, leading to a time similar to what he’s been posting recently and nowhere near a personal best – Finished 9TH with a time of [b[1:24.99[/b]

50 Free – 7TH : 32.46 – Another swim, similar to where he’s been recently, but still just off of a personal best. Finished 8TH with a time of 32.93

100 Breast– 6TH: 1:37.02 – This one was a little disappointing, as Bear’s breast has been better recently, but in this one, he seemed to be caught between not overworking and not getting a good catch. Added several seconds to his personal best, 1:41.58, which is not what I was expecting. As I mentioned in the pre-event write up, it has been a while and I didn’t know what to expect…that may have been too general. If I were more specific, and honest with myself I probably should have said that I don’t know if he’s ready to improve a good bit. Adding a significant amount of time was a surprise.

50 Back – 9TH : 38.27 – The struggles for Bear continue, he adds 2.25 seconds to his seed time to finish 14 with a time of 40.56

This was another terrible day for Bear, as he continues to struggle to get any traction and get a positive result. His fly did look better in the IM, but that is a small take away at this point in his struggles.

FREE RELAY – Bear did get to swim on the A Free Relay. He swam the 3RD leg and had the second fastest split (though only fractionally faster than the leadoff leg, who had the cold start). He swam a 33.07, no where close to his time at State. The team finished 2ND, a good 11 seconds behind first, and a good 6 seconds ahead of 3RD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 2

50 Breast – 11TH : 47:21
– After the poor 100, I didn’t have any expectation on this one…and Bear went out and surprised me. He swam a strong race, really doing a better job of driving forward and reaching rather than over working and getting to up and down. He finally got a personal best with a significant improvement of 1.4 seconds. He finished 8TH and his time was 45.82

100 Back – 8TH : 1:22.00 – Couldn’t clean up the backstroke enough to get a personal best as he only manages a 1:25.47 and an 11TH place finish. I know I’ve said this before, but he really needs to clean up the turns and the maintaining of speed heading into the walls. You might be wondering why the coach isn’t pushing this, and it is because she’s more concerned with his fly and breast form right now.

50 Fly – 9TH : 39.66
– And finally some reward for all the hard work. Bear looked very strong. His form is much better and it resulted in a 5 th place finish and an improvement of over a second, 38.44. Bear was able to put together the entire 50 without breaking for and/or fatiguing too much. He did get a little high 3 times when he was breathing on the back half, but he’ll iron that out pretty quickly, which should mean another second or so of time. This one was big as his entire confidence seemed to go up with this 1 swim. (note: one driving factor in this one was the Medley relay at the end of the day. Bear had been told he was on the B medley, and he knew if he swam the fly good enough they might switch the order and he could get on the A. Gold does that from time to time at State and Sectionals, taking the hottest swimmer at the moment and putting them in the relay. However, they don’t deviate in this meet, so Bear was stuck with the B team)

100 Free – 8TH : 1:11.32 – I guess Bear did have something left, as he swam good here, posting his 3rd personal best of the day, 1:10.83, . He had a strong kick for the full 100, and he definitely gave maximum effort. He also climbed up to 5th overall

MEDLEY RELAY Bear’s medley relay was fun…to begin with it was a 2 Bear relay, as a second child with the same name was on the relay…in fact they swam the 3RD and 4TH legs. The race started and Bears team was in 4Th after the back with 3 other teams right on their heals. The breaststroker was able to real in one of the teams that was in front (actually 2ND after the back, but 3RD after the breast), so when my Bear dove in, he was still in 4 TH, but only 1.2 seconds behind. Bear’s fly again, looked good…as he blew by the 3RD place swimmer, posting a 37.00 split and handed the freestyler a 1.8 second advantage, that he held onto for the 3RD place finish. I really liked the 37.00 split…even with a rolling start that is a good time, so I am hopeful, we are about to see Bear start dropping time in this stroke again.

Last edited by Breeze : 03-29-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote