Thread: Board Games
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #263
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Is this the one where you declare orders prior to each turn and have to commit characters from the story to lead battles? I read a review for it a few weeks ago, and it sounded like an amazing game.

Yes. Your action orders are hidden when you place them on the board. You put down action tokens face down on each area you control that dictates what your units in that area can do during the turn, then every reveals their orders at once (though the player who has the messenger token can decide to switch one of his orders after they're revealed).

For combat you declare at attack, and then both the attacker and defender are able to ask for support from anyone who played a support token down in an adjacent area. Then you add up the combat score from each side attackers, defenders and support and the attack and defender each secretly chose a character card that can provide additional points to the combat score and/or other advantages and reveal them at the same time. There's also a deck of cards you can use to provide some randomness that can add or subtract from the combat score or have an impact on the casualties from the battle.

I played it not really knowing anything about the books. I haven't read the books and I've downloaded the TV show but still haven't watched it yet. So I didn't know anything about the houses or characters on the combat cards, but it was still a lot of fun.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote