Thread: Board Games
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #274
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So we sat down to play this twice - the first time with only about an hour, we knew we weren't going to get a full game in just wanted to get a feel for it. Second time, we got our asses completely handed to us within 45 minutes. My group is a little daunted by it, and while I have one other person who is itching to play it again, the others are balking at it. Between the complexity, length of time and apparent difficulty, any ideas on a way to make this game a little more accessible to convince my friends that we should give it another go?

To be honest, for me it's all about the number of players. Arkham can get very, very long (and lots of waiting around for your turn) with more than 4 players - personally my rule is that I never play with more than 5, and ideally 3-4 plays quite well. You can make some house rules to speed up play if you like - there are lots of them on BGG, along with some that make the game slightly easier.

Also, I've had good success with giving people a sort of intro to the game by playing Elder Sign - same designer, same theme, similar mechanics, but streamlined and a good bit quicker. Then if people really like the way the game plays they will be more enthusiastic about playing AH.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote