View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 12:58 PM   #1778
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I guess it's been decided who's to blame for the tunnel incident?

Crump was the one who used his helmet as a weapon, so the charges were more serious. The others were suspended for several games, and that was the end of it.

I thought this was an interesting piece. It is from the perspective of an Ann Arbor-based journalist and life-long Michigan fan, so keep that in mind. But he's someone who is very much respected in the community. I used to work with him, and he was, then, the quiet, do-your-job-well, long-hours type.

Justice Delayed — For All Involved | John U. Bacon

I think the blame starts with the Michigan State coach. This has always been a weird rivalry. For Michigan State, the Michigan game is the most important game, and Michigan is 72-38-5. For Michigan, it's a secondary rivalry - Ohio State ends the season and it's a much more competitive rivalry (Michigan is 60-52-6, though that has gotten a lot closer in the last 20 years).

No way to do it immediately, but I think the best thing for everyone would be to have Michigan and Michigan State in different pods when the conference expands to 16 teams - a few years off would do a lot of good.

It shouldn't have to be that way. Michigan and Michigan State are a little over an hour apart. The fans - so many families have grads from both universities. It's a friendly rivalry in the stands. People tailgate together. In my own case, my wife received her master's and doctorate from MSU - that doesn't create any tension, and she enjoys sports and roots for MSU.

The Ohio State rivalry is a little tougher for the fans, but easier on the players - it's the big rivalry game for both, and they respect each other. Having moved to Ohio, it's a little weird. My next-door neighbor, who almost certainly doesn't know where I grew up, has an American flag on a pole in his front yard. Below it this week are two large banners - Ohio State is on the bottom, TCU above it. It's weird being in a place where fans want their rival to lose even more than they want their team to win. I thought about getting a big Michigan flag for the holder above our front door, but I would worry about vandals - no sense picking a fight in what's very much OSU country.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote