View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 AM   #827
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've estimated mentality to be roughly equal to speed and strength(a hair more important than speed, a little less then strength). It definitely makes a noticeable impact, but even top-mentality players will have matches they lose in that way. A great player with high mentality though does seem to be a true fortress, because even when you get chances against them they manage to squeeze out most of the time.

October

World Team Cup

The quarterfinals matched Sri Lanka against Argentina, on clay. Guadiana is solid player, and Fabrizio Abinati is a rising talent just reaching the age of 22. They blanked us in doubles but that was their only win; took a set each in a couple of singles matches but we had the quality to see them off 4-1. In the semis, it was Great Britain. Just stop and ponder that for a moment. Great Britian is in the WTC semifinals. That's something to celebrate all on it's own. In Brasher and Duncan they have the 11th and 12th singles players in the world, so they are a significant threat. We beat them 5-0, but that's not really fair. Chad Duncan pushed Dudwadkar to five sets in the opening match, winning the first before eventually going down 6-3 in the last. Doubles were even closer, with Mehul/Kansai eventually prevailing 3-6, 6-4, 6-1, 2-6, 8-6 in a pretty epic affair. The other three went our way in straight sets, but the Brits definitely deserved to take at least one rubber. Instead it's a 5-0 skunking.

In the final we'll face France(who else). On an Indoor court, which is unusual. I'd love to send Mehul out on top, but going against the top two players in the world on a surface that favors them? The odds are definitely not in our favor. I'd bet heavily on the French in this one, either 3-2 or 4-1 with doubles our best shot at a point, quite possibly stealing one against one of the Kaspars also. It could be close, but I think we have enough to narrowly retain the top spot in the rankings even if we lose.

Amrik Kasaravalli was ousted in the QFs of singles and doubles in the Osaka Mayors Cup(JGA), a solid but unspectacular showing. He took #2 Jung to a tough match again, pushing him to three, but the young Korean dominated the final stanza to get the win. A super-TB loss in doubles was a tough one as well. As for Anil Mehul, as Shanghai arrives he's less than 3000 points away from retirement now. Looks like he's literally going to get there probably the week of the WTC Final. A great way to go out for him, win or lose. In China, all eyes are on the Kaspars. It's expected that Mateo will regain the #1 spot there, though who knows for how long. He didn't play their last season, while Karl was the victor, and less than 200 points currently separate the two in the rankings. It's a pivotal moment in determining who ends this year on top.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote