View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 01:02 AM   #994
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

May

By 'May', I mean the two weeks between Monte Carlo and Madrid. So the first half of May. Or whatever. And by the way, stuff is happening in Madrid, to the tune of the three unseeded quarterfinalists as I speak. But this is about what happened before that.

Amrik Kasaravalli played the Bucharest 250, while Sushant Chiba took time off for practice. Seeded 6th, Kasaravalli got a nice win over 4-seed Jacek Andrejova, one of the falling veterans. That put him in the semifinals, where he lost in three to Moniotte, but that's still a nice 90-point result that's basically able to replace a challenger title. Nasir Chittoor also was off for practice, while Satyagit Guha continues to struggle in singles, but managed to get a decent partner and drag him to the FT3 Russia doubles title. So that made it a useful event for him.

Rankings the week before Madrid because I've been a bit busy and was too lazy to transcribe it all. Top and bottom one are just for reference to show the 'breaks', but what's interesting to me is 'bubble', 27-36 here. Cutoff for #32 here is 1595, which is the highest I've ever seen it. There's a limit to how far it can go, but we've basically got a glorified game of King of the Hill going on. The ones just outside the Top32 are basically going out and winning Challengers, then they move up and others are pushed down and they go do the same thing, moving back into position, and so on. As Christy mentioned, it's tough esp. with the competition further above to get enough points in 250s and so on to replace those Challenger titles. Normally that's not so much of an issue because if you're good enough to get up, you can usually scrape out some upsets - harder to come by right now.

Worst case for Kasaravalli here is actually that he drops out of the seeding for RG. Now that doesn't look like it'll happen at the moment, but if he loses in the first round at Madrid/Rome like he did in Monte Carlo, that's 10 points for each and he's got 125 points in Challengers going away those two weeks. Very possible he could end up losing 100 points and ending up in the mid-30s again. Could just skip the masters and get crap practice which would allow me to use some lower-level results, but that wouldn't help that much from a points perspective and I don't want to sabotage my own development. So he's hoping for opportunities and something to break his way - dropping out and playing Challengers again for a bit though is definitely not totally out of the question. He'd already be only 5 points above the cut if he hadn't won that QF in Bucharest!

And by the way, it's not just there. Usually 2000-2100 points is enough to get to #16, the next break spot. Right now it's almost 2400. A lot of points are shifting from both the Top 10 and the 33+ brackets into this scrum, and the result is some gloriously intense competition.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-10-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote