View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 03:39 AM   #1013
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

A little math on the subject, since you're thinking about it:

Slams are the best obviously for both points and xp bonus.

** 25% of players are going to be seeded.
** Another 25% will be matched against them in the first round.
** Narciso would have a two-thirds chance of being matched up with an unseeded player, and probably an inferior one. But even if that happens, it's very likely you play a seeded player (and lose) in the second round. Upsets can happen etc. but it's a pretty slim chance.
** Even if you get to the second round, that's 45 points. Getting to the final of a challenger is better, let alone winning it. The bonus XP isn't much of a benefit when you consider how many fewer matches you are going to get.
** Masters, even on a preferred surface, have worse math.

Australian Open is an exception since there's no challenger that week, so you either play it or practice against scrubs. Regarding the ranking thing, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Christy's explanation is correct, but the main reason to want to boost your ranking at this point is just to get better practice weeks. Not everyone schedules like I do - thehitcat for example is a lot more aggressive and you can't argue with Hart's results. Maybe he'll have a different, useful perspective. But until you're good enough to fight for a spot in the Top 32 and the seedings which result from that - 3-4 matches at Slams, etc. - chasing points is IMO counterproductive. Narciso is close to that, but not quite there.

Of course you should do whatever you feel like, this is just my perspective on how I'd approach it personally. And most of the stuff you've entered has been quite appropriate from what I can see so it's not like you are doing the guy major harm. You just need to win more challengers, which comes with improvement. Only other thing I'd suggest is playing doubles as well. You won't be able to play as many events, but that won't hurt your development at all and it looks like the weakest half of your challenger results are getting tossed out right now anyway. I generally play doubles all the time while moving players up until it's Winning Time - i.e. until they reach 'Challenger Hero' status where they are ready to make their run at the pro ranks and are basically playing every CH1/CH+ in sight to rack up the ranking points.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-21-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote