View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 03:43 AM   #1063
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

2nd Annual Anil Cup
Sponsored by thehitcat

John Hart and Nicolas Perez are your finalists. Shocking, I know. Result; same as last year, Hart in straights. Closer at 7-6(5), 7-6(4), 6-4, but Hart ensures he will be well-remembered in the annals of the Anil Cup as the man who stood above the others in the early years - and that anyone crowning Perez prematurely as his successor should chill out and not write him off just yet. Seamus Hughes and Sushant Chiba were the seeded semifinalists. Intodia and Narciso provided a fairly easy trip to that stage for Chiba. He also teamed with Amrik Kasaravalli for a nice run to the doubles final, including a semifinal upset of 2-seeds Sbai/Alenichev in four sets. Naturally they got stomped there by the Irish duo. The two of them are flat exhausted. Amrik had the misfortune of going up against Hart in his first-round match, and got flattened with only six games won.

Nasir Chittoor had a surprisingly useful week, outlasting Tommy Fitzpatrick in a modest upset - he'd lost all of their practice encounters that I remember and Fitz is definitely the better player - that went the distance in the first round, up and down the whole way. Then he had a mostly-credible defeat against Hughes in the QF, 6-4, 6-3, 6-1. Satyagit Guha won a whole game in a humiliating stomp by Sbai in singles qualifying, and the pairing got flattened in doubles by Sbai/Alenichev 6-1, 6-0, 6-2. So Guha ... well, he didn't do much this week. You could definitely say that.

Coming Up ...

All of the usual start of the year spam, along with my questionable prognostications for the coming season.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-11-2019 at 03:44 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote