View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 12:52 AM   #1357
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Year 102 Rankings, 11+ Notables

11. Goya Banqueria (23, ESP, 96%, 8.54, +0.14)

Another year, another five spots in the rankings - though that figures to slow now. Banqueria's manager continues to show he wants a servebot, with most of the worst connotations of that term. It seems clear that Goya will never have a world-class game from the back of the court, which also means I don't expect him to move up a whole lot more.

12. Johann Przalowik (24, DEU, 96%, 8.81, +0.24)

A ranking bug didn't help, but Przalowik still has no excuse to be down here from 9th a year ago. He's better than this, and really worked on his game, but ... just another underachiever. Time to bounce back, Johann. Do it now.

13. Dominic Stricker (25, SUI, 94%, 8.58, +0.04)

Last year I said Striker was kind of boring. I stand by that assessment after he inched up one spot in the rankings and didn't make any real noise. Too serve-focused, but even at that should be improving a little more than these barely-noticeable incremenetal bumps.

15. David de Laurentiis (23, DEU, 96%, 8.63, +0.09)

Last year I said this: "it's a crime against player management that de Laurentis is this low ... good power, he lacks only improved baseline play and is a borderline Top-10 caliber player right now."

Looks like I was mostly correct, as de Laurentiis cut his ranking in half and now is in striking distance of that Top 10 spot. Another guy who feels like he should have improved a bit more though. Definitely one to watch this year.

18. Patrik Rask (25, SWE, 92%, 8.33, +0.02)

Another one where I hit the nail on the head, if I do say so myself:

'Rask is actually better than a fair number of the players ahead of him. ... he could make the low teens yet'.

Patrik was 29th last year, so definitely another fast-riser. Doesn't have a lot of time left to make his mark, and decided to just go all-in on the serve; his skill is actually worse than it was a year ago when he looked pretty balanced. So a bunch of that optimism just got thrown out the window.

19. Joss Fraikes (22, USA, 98%, 8.51, --)

Fraikes is our first new player to introduce in this year's rundown. An American who knows how to play off the crowd is always dangerous. Good athlete, good mental game, somewhat serve-heavy as is in style, and a slow-developer so he has a few years yet.

I'm pegging Josh for the low teens this year and definitely a solid Top-10 player in time, probably Top 5. Not a truly great player, but he figures to make some noise.

26. Hector Mendias (23, ESP, 99%, 8.28, +0.04)

I said a year ago that 'he'll need to get his technique up to standard before he can progress much further.' Mendias was ranked five spots higher then, at 21st. He barely did better than tread water, so it appears that this is one Spanish talent that's going nowhere.

27. Chris King (21, GBR, 99%, 8.18, --)

You're not going to believe this, but King has a quality serve and under-developed skill. It's like there's a factory somewhere that these guys get churned out at. Mental game is weak, athleticism adequate but not more - really a dedicated player so he could well get better, but right now King is borderline out of his depth. I don't expect much progress this season, but if he uses the year to improve, then there could be better days ahead.

29. George Voronets (24, RUS, 92%, 8.20, -0.01)

'I think about 15th is where he peaks, in a couple years'. Voronets keeps disappointing me. He was 22nd last year, career high is 19th, but just going in the wrong direction and even with merely above-average endurance, he should be able to improve some. This is the last I'll be writing about him without a good reason to convince me otherwhise.

32. Mark Want (21, USA, 100%, 8.05, --)

Want, as in wanting development. Mark's technique is sorely lacking, he has good athleticism, mentality, endurance ... question is how much can he improve his skills. A fast-riser so he doesn't have a huge amount of time, and feels to me like he's behind the curve some. We'll see.

49. Jan Schleicher (19, AUT, 99%, 7.58, --)

Schleicher is the top-ranked teenager, about to turn 20. He's got a quality manager, being trained by none other than the greatest of them all, Chris Adams. Don't get too excited though. He's doing pretty well development-wise, but mental game is poor and athleticism merely solid. Excellent endurance will definitely help; he'll likely make the most of what he has but this isn't a future world-beater.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote