5. Cyprus - 2,238
6. Ireland - 2,227
7. Spain - 2,207
8. Italy - 2,145
9. Austria - 2,050
10. Argentina - 1,954

54. Sri Lanka - 1,026

Decision Week

A huge announcement for our national aspirations had come. After two years of inactivity, would we be allowed back in the World Team Cup for Year 103? Our sales pitch for it is that we now have two players at around the 200 ranking level rather than just one, and also a Top-40 junior. This year I think we have a compelling case; if there are good openings available and there's not another Zimbabwe-type that's been waiting longer with a better resume. If we don't get it this year though, it could be a while; we might not improve all that much beyond what we're capable of now for 2-3 years.

The Verdict

Last-place finishers from the Level 4 Groups in the Year 102 were as follows:

- Chinese Taipei (55th), staying in. With Tung Gu ranked 52nd, one certainly understands why.
- Egypt (78th), dropped. Hasan Bohbot, 287th, is probably past his best tennis, and there is nobody else of note. One slot open!
- Morocco (71st), staying in. They are similar to us, but inferior. Agama Erbati and Radi Tahri are ranked 235th and 308th respectively.
- Japan (68th), staying in. #43 Tsuramtsu Asahara is a compelling argument.

It comes down to whether we have been selected to replace Egypt. I can see where the committee, whoever and whatever they are, might want to keep the status quo if it was just down to whether we'd replace Morocco. They might think we're not enough better to justify the switch.

In the end it's a moot point, because we are given official notice of our entry into Level 4, Group 3!! It is time for Sri Lanka tennis to rise from the ashes, against the following competition:

- Slovak Republic, 40th, on Hardcourt
- Morocco, 71st, on Clay
- Iran, 52nd, on Hardcourt

I would say we're favored slightly in the last two, while the Slovak Republic is a little better, but all three of these figure to be competitive. I can see us placing anywhere really. If everyone plays their best players, no singles player is better than 179th, and none are worse than 305th. These are all high-Futures to low-Challengers quality players.

Of course our top goal is just do not finish last. Whatever happens do not finish last, because that means we might get booted again. It would be nice of course to make the knockout rounds and have a chance to fight for promoting up to Level 3, but that may be a little ambitious just yet.

But mainly, We're Back In!!!. We'll be fighting and clawing for everything we can get, and hoping it's enough to at least stay in the WTC.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote