View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #55
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Review of "Hacking In"
AllCinema.net
Alice Lichet

Unlike many reviewers currently rating the Nouveau Hollywood scene, this reviewer was reviewing movies for a lot longer time than just the past several years. Back in my native France, I regularly reviewed movie for over a decade before bringing my experience to Hollywood with the rejuvenated business.

Some of my colleagues seem to think that every movie is the greatest they've ever seen. That's because they've still only seen, maybe 25 brand new movies. I have not.

So what do I think of Hacking In? It's good. But it suffers from a malaise. Sure, I like the film, and I really enjoy many of the things Dragon's Den Studios wants to do. However, this movie was just okay.

Director Bert Lorner was okay. Lead Terry Grouse was solid. But the movie felt flat to me. Blase.

This movie is about gangsters from the 1920's hacking into the modern Cybernet and the hijinks that ensue. It certainly is a clever premise, but it is one of those premises that make you think it is trying to appear intelligent, instead of actually being intelligent. Gangsters with tommy guns on the Cybernet? That's just silly.

So, although the film is procedurely sound and the plot is better than a lot of crap that gets made, it still doesn't hold up to other films I've seen. It will never be a classic, instead being merely forgettable.

At best, a solid B.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote