View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #186
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I just bought this game...and while I didn't fare well in the first few EU games, this one I seemed to have grasped better.

That being said, I tried to walk in your footsteps with Naxos just to see how it was like, and needless to say, I didn't have the skill nor the patience.

That being said, I tried Mecklenberg (which I confess is a little easier) and had a blast, and it really did sharpen my skills and interest.

Everyday I check in on this dynasty just to see how things go and I'm always impressed.

That being said, do you find that this game makes it easier to conduct conquest than the first two games? I thought something would kick in for that small a country to have expanded that big (it's not a complaint, I think it at least allows for the possibility which in the prior games was more of just being capable of surviving not so much expanding influence).

I'm about three years down the road from this last post. Something happens totally unexpected, and I have to make a bad decision or a worse decision. Ah hell, I'll go ahead and tell ya.

Aragon and Castille ally with each other and Castille asks me to join a war vs. Portugal and Britian with their ally Aragon. It's a classic trap war. The kind where on top it looks okay, but deep down would be horribel for me. GB is adjact to my colonies in S America with soldiersi in theirs, GB and I have a royal marriage so joining Castille would be a stabilityhit for me. It's precisely the sort of war I've been dodging all year long.

Take th ebad war with teh possibly of lost land? Or leave my allaince with my bestest alliance buddy? Doing so drive Castille into the hands of Aragon. can you imagine Aragon declaring war against me and havin Castille join her? I;d be raped. I've spent all game making nice wiht hepeople who would kill me.

So I have to leave the alliance, but there is this real danger. I know its a danger, because I've played eu2 so much. So what I am currently doing is secnding gifts to Aragon like mad. Make nice, get our relations up, get a royal marriage with them, and then hope they no longer want to attack us.

I see what the future could bring and take steps to avoid it. I only wage war against those I think I can win. When I lose war, I'd rather lose ducats.

I have the newer badboy system down pat. I know when to attackm when to push and when to call off wars (like I did in a previous war against Portugal pushed against Mamluks just now, etc). Your badboy decreases by the diplomacy skill of your leader each year. When I took 7 provinces from Mamluks, I gained 7 badboy points. My leader's diplomacy is 7 or 8, can;t remember which. That means my bb decreases by 0.7 or 0.8 each year. I'm the Papal Controller and that's an additional -0.25 bb each year. When I had that 3 diplomacy guy a while ago, I had to take a long gap between each war. Now that I am papal controller with a high diplomatic king, I can wage a lot of war.

To be fair, that's pretty realistic. How much of a bad reputation would a Catholic nation who controlled the curia have really gotten in 1630s by capturing seven provinces in the Middle East and North east Africa, including Judea?

Hope that info helps!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote