View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #264
Radii
Head Coach

-- Our official season ticket sales end up at 1066. We sold 947 last year so that's quite the improvement.

August 13th, 2014

League Cup 1st Round

Coventry @ Woking

We are 7:1 dogs against Championship side Coventry. We play again in 3 days and there is a question as to whether we should rest some (most?) 1st teamers today and focus on league play.

GK: Lynch
D: Williams/Thomas/Smith/Ogogo
DMC: Taylor
MC: Upson/O'Sullivan
AM: Collins/Downes
ST: Bell-Baggie

I rest Subotic, Nikolaou and Kenny today. We come out with a standard mindset. If we tie and there's a replay its at their house. I have no interest in that. We'll get the gate receipts today and go mostly all out for a win and see what happens.

14': 3 shots total, all long shots. Bell-Baggie missed a long one for us just over.

20': They control possession on our end, there's a cross, it seems like we have 4 guys close, but not quite there. Keeper dives out to try to stop the cross, they control it and poke it inot the empty net. 0-1

29': WHAT A MOVE. Bell-Baggie receives an outlet pass, he kicks it back to... uh i don't know who, who lofts a long ball foward, O'Sullivan breaks perfectly and gets it ahead of the defense. He is able to run into the penalty area but their defenders catch up. Instead of taking a futile shot he finds Downes trailing the play on the right perfectly, Downes with a solid strike, and its by the keeper!! A really pretty play. 1-1

35': They get a goal but its super clearly offsides, disallowed.

42': A long shot on target that Lynch barely saves starts a long offensive stretch for coventry.. two shots and four corner kicks go by before we finally get it out of there.

HALF: I'm thrilled to be tied at the half. Our goal was really a thing of beauty... theirs seemed like quite the breakdown on defense.

47': Pulis in for O'Sullivan, Harsanyi in for Bell-Baggie. O'Sullivan I want rested for my next game. Bell-Baggie isn't playing well.

67': 18 total shots, just 3 on target between the two teams. Pulis is a bit banged up.

69': Lynch with two diving saves back to back, brilliant play, one was a clear cut chance for Coventry.

72': N'Diaye in for collins out left.

75': They are putting the pressure on, we are doing a good job clearing the ball out, they have 5 shots in the last 6 minutes though.

80': A quick attacking highlight for us, Pulis to Upson, Upson a through ball to Downes, Downes has a very good look, surprised its not a clear cut chance honestly... but he puts it off the right crossbar, so close to taking the lead.

82': They pass the ball into the penalty area, we fail to clear it, fail to intercept it(it seemed like we had guys in place to do so) and they end up with a very strong shot that Lynch gets his fingertips to and barely saves.

87': Thomas goes down hurt.

FULL TIME: Tied up, on to extra time! They ahve 18 shots, 7 on target. We have 9 shots, 2 on target. They really piiled on the pressure in the last 20 minutes. I will be surprised if we can withstand 30 more minutes.

99': Long shot... deflected by Lynch, rebound to Coventry, shot off the post... rebound to coventry... lynch saves/turns it behind for a corner. they earn two corners, finally we clear it.

101': Harsanyi and Downes seem to have something going, but as Harsanyi makes a run towards goal (instead of making the pass that seems a much better option) they make a good tackle to stop our attack.

ET HALFTIME: Thomas is really hurting. I've told our guys screw this, we are attacking. Maybe dumb but I dont want to clog the schedule with a road game against these guys. Win or lose boys!

110': Defender Osbourne with a rough tackle on Harsanyi, relevant because he earns his second yellow! We're a man up for the last 10 minutes.

111': Harsanyi ets into the area and manages a shot, but there are defenders near that likely harrassed him well, and he can't put it on target.

119': Some buildup but we can't get it into the penalty arae. Taylor takes a long shot, its off the keepers hands, off the crossbar, hits the keeper in the back... and rolls behind for a corner, which comes to nothing. Not 100% sure that's what happened but it really looked like it bounced a couple times.

OWAIT. I misunderstood how this was gonna work! I thought there were replays in league cup, I should have double checked the rules. We are on to penalty kicks!

Woking: Williams... right at the keeper, saved. 0-0
Coventry: Doyle... off the right crossbar and in. 0-1
Woking: Upson... off the right crossbar and out. 0-1
Coventry: Clingan... right side of the net. 0-2
Woking: Pulis... drills it by the left side of the keeper. 1-2
Coventry: Chando... left side of the net. 1-3
Woking: Harsanyi... off the right bar and in. 2-3
Coventry: Smith... beats lynch and wins the match.

Woking 1 : 1 Coventry (Coventry 4:2 penalties)

We played well, too bad we couldn't pull out the win especially after going a man up, but I'm very proud of the team for this performance.

Defender Vosselman for coventry is man of the match. On our side, Lynch (7.4), Downes (7.3), Upson (7.2), Ogogo (7.1), Williams (7.0), Smith (7.2) ,and Taylor (7.0) are noteworthy. Downes with the goal, O'Sullivan the assist.

We are completely gassed after this game. We are gonna have a terrible lineup for our next league match.

Attendence was not good, just 2800. Maybe it requires a premier side to get the big numbers.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote