View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #16
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
My (middle school) daughter's home room teacher has adopted the policy that if any student in her class is caught participating in any of the Tik Tok challenges, everyone gets homework 3 days a week for the duration of the school year.

In essence, "Y'all are going to police yourselves and make good decisions, or none of you are going to have time to get up to hijinks for the rest of the year."

Her cheerleading coach (and the football coach, from what I understand) have set the flat policy that anyone caught doing any of the items on the list is just flat off the team, no questions asked, no appeals.

As a parent, I'd 100% give a free pass to any teacher who wallops a student back. (But I'm a middle school parent, and "real life actions have real life consequences" is a message we've been working on for months now. Because middle school kids are idiots.)

I strongly disagree with several things here.

First, punishments for behavior should be unrelated to academics, especially for the whole class who didn't do it. Also, this would do nothing to stop many of the kids who commit these behaviors and don't do any homework anyways.

Finally, any adult who "wallops" a student is completely unfit to handle the job and should never be allowed around minors ever again.

Detention, suspension, expulsion, being kicked off of an extracurricular, etc. are all appropriate ways to handle this.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote